Thread: Help with a TV tuner

anonymoose's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Hi guys,
    I'm looking to but a TV Tuner PCI card for my PC desktop. It must be fully compatible with Vista Media Centre, be able to watch freeview tv (free-to-air digital channels). Can anyone reccommend something good?

Also, I've seen some satellite TV Tuner cards, do I need an extra dish for that or could I use my sky dish?
    And, whats DVB-T or H?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    A few definitions first:

DVB - Digital Video Broadcasting
    -T = Terrestrial, same as Freeview in UK
    -S = Satellite
    -C = Cable
    -H = Hybrid(officially), Handheld
    -S2, -T2, -C2 = 2nd Gen -S, -T, -C = more efficient (for HDTV)

So for Freeview you can look for any DVB-T card which says it is VMC compatible, or possibly one of the USB stick based receivers.

For satellite, you would have the problem of which controls the LNB - Sky box or PC. You could get round that by simply replacing the existing LNB with a twin LNB and run a new cable to your PC. However, the Sky dish is designed to be so small that it can only pick up the channels intended for your Sky box, so without a decoder you will only be able to get the few free-to-air channels aimed at the UK.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    A few definitions first:

DVB - Digital Video Broadcasting
    -T = Terrestrial, same as Freeview in UK
    -S = Satellite
    -C = Cable
    -H = Hybrid(officially), Handheld
    -S2, -T2, -C2 = 2nd Gen -S, -T, -C = more efficient (for HDTV)

So for Freeview you can look for any DVB-T card which says it is VMC compatible, or possibly one of the USB stick based receivers.

For satellite, you would have the problem of which controls the LNB - Sky box or PC. You could get round that by simply replacing the existing LNB with a twin LNB and run a new cable to your PC. However, the Sky dish is designed to be so small that it can only pick up the channels intended for your Sky box, so without a decoder you will only be able to get the few free-to-air channels aimed at the UK.
    thx

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    what are good ones for cable? I was thinking about getting one, but I don't want to spend over $100. What's the difference b/w the ones that are 50 bucks and the ones that are over 100? I would like to record kid shows and then put them on dvd.