Thread: Software to block sites on FireFox?

BANNED BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Hey guys,
    i have noticed that there is no an option that can block sites in firefox,, so i think i should use a third-party program..
    what is the best app for that?
    i think there r many programs because it's quite easy to do, it's even built-in IE..
    is there kinda extension/etc.?
    THX

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    You could use adblock extension, simply block the adress.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Well are you trying to block sites pertaining to certain keywords (like adult oriented sites getting blocked for children's computers, etc?) or just specific sites.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

1. User your firewall to block sites. Most firewalls should allow for this. Or if you have a router, you might be able to add those sites to your router.

2. Edit the host file:
    • Using Notepad or some other text editor, open the file named "hosts", which is located in the following directory:
      • Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
      • Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
      • Windows 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS
    • Add the following on its own line in the hosts file, using the sites that apply to you:
      127.0.0.1 metafilter.com flickr.com
    • Save and quit.
    3. Get some software like Cybersitter.

There are other options too, but those, plus the adblock extension are some of the easier ones.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Anti-Trader Inc. BT Rep: +5
    Google for "Adblock plus" firefox extension, and "adblock plus filtersets".

Download both of them - never see an Ad again

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ac3Dunk's Avatar S.O.P-Laf BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by blEnder View Post
    Well are you trying to block sites pertaining to certain keywords (like adult oriented sites getting blocked for children's computers, etc?) or just specific sites.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

1. User your firewall to block sites. Most firewalls should allow for this. Or if you have a router, you might be able to add those sites to your router.

2. Edit the host file:
    • Using Notepad or some other text editor, open the file named "hosts", which is located in the following directory:
      • Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
      • Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
      • Windows 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS
    • Add the following on its own line in the hosts file, using the sites that apply to you:
      127.0.0.1 metafilter.com flickr.com
    • Save and quit.
    3. Get some software like Cybersitter.

There are other options too, but those, plus the adblock extension are some of the easier ones.
    I tried but it doesnt work for me
    I was using System mechanic V5.5 before but atm i cant found it there is nly the new version wich use a lot of CPU .
    #zEdit; FST is bad, it's like drugs. Mkay?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    v0thanhtam's Avatar Mr. & Mrs. Vő
    Then you must have done sth wrong there because edit the HOSTS file is the best way to solve your problem.

Try it again to see if you done it right. It is a HIDDEN and READ-ONLY file so you have to set Windows Explorer to Show SYSTEM files and also turn the READ-ONLY off. Once finish editing the HOSTS file, save it. Turn READ-ONLY back on.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Using Adblock is better than editing your hosts file, because you can add anything you want to your own filter set (which you can export and import between machines if necessary) without having to block a whole site if you don't want to.

More importantly, you can add filters for the unwanted content from the current page, which is a lot easier than editing files.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Got to agree stick with adblock, easy to use.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I find this post interesting as with Adblock you can just right click on an ad and block image . Serves me well on forums like this .

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    never heard of adblock gonna look at it right now