Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a racist?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    According to a recent class exercise, I am. I scored a 50% on a particular section relating to racism and racist comments.

Evidently, if I include the ethnic background of a person who is running for for City Council, even into a conversation, I am being a racist. How does that assumption fit in to any reasonable argument?

Can we not speak about how different ethnicities have well documented voting trends or consider it our vote without being considered a racist? Just because all whites, or all blacks or all Mexican immigrants don't vote a certain way, does not make the statement racist.

Am I a sexist because I believe a female may not have the same beliefs as me, a male? Or that a female may not have the same interests as me and vote in ways that would be contradictory to my beliefs?

When a certain sex or race votes a certain way in almost every campaign issue, voicing concerns about a candidate or even mentioning their sex or race in conversation is NOT sexist or racist. When 80% of black/female/whatever congress leaders vote almost the same way on particular issues, considering that in your vote isn't racist, that's what's know as the Law of Probability, folks.

Sam

yo

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Political correctness is turning in to unintelligent, over zealous rule-mongering....
    Now go away.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    According to a recent class exercise, I am. I scored a 50% on a particular section relating to racism and racist comments.

Evidently, if I include the ethnic background of a person who is running for for City Council, even into a conversation, I am being a racist. How does that assumption fit in to any reasonable argument?

Can we not speak about how different ethnicities have well documented voting trends or consider it our vote without being considered a racist? Just because all whites, or all blacks or all Mexican immigrants don't vote a certain way, does not make the statement racist.

Am I a sexist because I believe a female may not have the same beliefs as me, a male? Or that a female may not have the same interests as me and vote in ways that would be contradictory to my beliefs?

When a certain sex or race votes a certain way in almost every campaign issue, voicing concerns about a candidate or even mentioning their sex or race in conversation is NOT sexist or racist. When 80% of black/female/whatever congress leaders vote almost the same way on particular issues, considering that in your vote isn't racist, that's what's know as the Law of Probability, folks.

Sam
    I agree with the racist.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I found this test that you have to do at speed.
    My results:

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...attitudes.html
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Black People compared to White People.

To be fair, given the way the test works (no point in telling you that as it would be a spoiler for you) I think I can probably explain that slight deviation from neutrality in a fairly simple way. Tho' they say that is already factored in.
    "there is nothing misogynistic about anything, stop trippin.
    i type this way because im black and from nyc chill son "

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    HunterJelly's Avatar Member
    I don't know the dictionary definition for raceism, but I think that you are not a racist until you repeatedly insult a certain races trends in a general way, such as saying black people like Chicken and Watermelon, it may be a common thing for them, but please for the love of HJ make it clear that you don't mean every damn one of them.

I think some racial bashing here and there can be funny, but people that instantly judge a person of a certain race with these trends should really consider shutting the hell up and giving them a chance.

Not every African American is going to mug you.

(Do I need to just shut the hell up?)

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    all texans are racist

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I have read studies which concluded that those who endeavor to split the racial "hair" so finely are assholes, who (somewhat ironically, I think) like watermelon but hate chicken.

I like chicken and hate watermelon, which probably means I like some black people while disliking others, without regard to their food preferences.

I'm okay with that.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Racism by its definition means that you think your race is superior to another. This means a black man thinks his "blackness" makes him superior to All people of white skin.
    Or my "whiteness" means I'm superior to all black skinned people.

This bull about thinking that you as an individual are better than someone means your a racist is absurd.

I think the 100 yard dash is better than the 1 mile. Does that make me a racist?

What if I'm white and I hate all white people. Am I then a racist?
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 09-07-2007 at 02:22 AM.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterJelly View Post
    I don't know the dictionary definition for raceism, but I think that you are not a racist until you repeatedly insult a certain races trends in a general way, such as saying black people like Chicken and Watermelon, it may be a common thing for them, but please for the love of HJ make it clear that you don't mean every damn one of them.

I think some racial bashing here and there can be funny, but people that instantly judge a person of a certain race with these trends should really consider shutting the hell up and giving them a chance.

Not every African American is going to mug you.

(Do I need to just shut the hell up?)
    No you don't HunterJelly nice imput Give my regards..no more.... my love to Shakita ...

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast