Thread: If I format my pc will I lose my hp recovery

BANNED BT Rep: +1
    If I formet my pc will I lost my hp recovery

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    as long as u are using the HP recovery partition u wont, is u use a windows disk it becomes useless.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    As long as you don't alter the partitions you should be ok.

Formatting just clears the contents of a partition, it doesn't affect the state of any other partitions so the hp recovery partition will still be intact.

You will never get the opportunity to format the hp recovery partition though it is still possible to delete the partition, just make sure you don't select that option.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Formatting just clears the contents of a partition, it doesn't affect the state of any other partitions so the hp recovery partition will still be intact.

You will never get the opportunity to format the hp recovery partition though it is still possible to delete the partition, just make sure you don't select that option.
    All true.

In some cases though, deleting the recovery partition is the preferred option.
    We frequently were forced to use non-stock motherboards when the original died, either because of cost or availability issues.
    In most cases it was better to perform a fresh install (as opposed to a imaged recovery) to avoid driver conflicts.
    This also results in an install free of the pervasive crap/trialware included in the original recovery image.
    Deleting the recovery partition was done to avoid future screwups and also to free up a bit of drive space.

Naturally, this will require reactivation of the OS with MS but I don't recall ever being denied and really, it's not that big of a deal anymore (since they redid the system a few months ago I haven't even had to talk to a human as the computer now asks the questions the Indians used to ask...).
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    so how I format without deleting recovery

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasyx72 View Post
    Give it to a friend that knows how and watch what he/she does.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy368 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fantasyx72 View Post
    Give it to a friend that knows how and watch what he/she does.
    lol i am the friend but dont know whats going to happen to the recovery

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Nothing is going to happen to the recovery partition.

What exactly are you doing anyway?
    If you're actually using the HP recovery option you can be damn sure that it won't wipe itself out in the process.

If you're installing from a real Windows disk it will show the partitions available on the drive (presumably C:Windows- formatted NTFS- and then something like "HP Recovery"- formatted FAT32.
    Just tell the installer you want C: partition and go to town...it will totally ignore the recovery partition.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Beenieman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Best advice is to delete the partition and use newer drivers and software anyway but thats just my opinion and yes I'm running a HP pc, infact I had so many problems using the recovery and it took ages and I mean hours lol! Now I just use my own copy of XP or Vista and I have all drivers I need on a flash pen. If and only if you were to lose/delete the recovery partition you can order cd's'dvd with the files on anyway like I did when I first deleted mine.

Only time I had a bad problem was when Windows would'nt activate but I just copied my activasion files to my flash driver too and restored after.

When you run Windows XP Disk it will ask you what driver you wanna install to anyway, Just stick to the C: Drive and you will be fine m8

Rent this space

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    v0thanhtam's Avatar Mr. & Mrs. Vő
    Man just wipe out the whole thing...everything then install Windows again. Use your computer to browse thru HP support page and download the particular driver for the HP computer, burn the downloaded drivers into DVD then use that DVD to install the device drivers for the HP computer. I've done it for a lot of people without problem.