Thread: BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet."

"Scott McCausland (sk0t), the ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker isn’t having much luck lately. Back in September 2006, he pleaded guilty to two charges - ‘conspiracy to commit copyright infringement’ and ‘criminal copyright infringement’. Both charges relate to him uploading ‘Star Wars: Episode III’ onto the internet hours before the theatrical release, earning him 5 months in jail and 5 months home confinement.

Sk0t has now been released from jail but this doesn’t mean that everything is back to normal.

Back on 17 July, sk0t had to see his Probation Officer for the first time and two days later he had to have a special ankle bracelet attached. This monitoring device is there to enforce the terms of his release: Monday to Friday 08:30 to 21:00 he is free to do as he pleases. Weekends are more restrictive - freedom is allocated between 08:30 to 17:00. The one good thing about this device is that it will be removed before Christmas (Dec 19th).

According to a post on his blog, following another meeting with his Probation Officer, it seems sk0t is having more trouble: "So, I am getting shafted by the Justice Department again…"

sk0t was informed by his Probation Officer that he has to have special software installed on his PC so that the government can monitor his online activities. However, what is a more bitter pill to swallow for him is that the monitoring software is Windows only and as sk0t is an Ubuntu user, the Justice Department is forcing him to switch operating systems.

"I had a meeting with my probation officer today, and he told me that he has to install monitoring software onto my PC. No big deal to me, that is part of my sentence. However, their software doesnt support GNU/Linux (Which is what I use). So, he told me that if I want to use a computer, I would have to use an OS that the software can be installed on."

Sk0t is left with a tough choice. Give in to the evils of the monitoring software, format his hard drive and install Windows - or be barred from using a PC completely.

Sk0t told TorrentFreak: “I think that this whole situation is just one more way that they can impose their will onto me. I have contacted my attorney, and we are going to fight this. It isn’t the fact that I have to be monitored that bothers me, it is the fact that I have restructure my life (different OS, different software on that OS) and that they would require (force) me to purchase software while I a currently unemployed and relatively unemployable with the 2 felonies that they gave me. It is just a ridiculous situation. Why should I conform to them when I am consenting to the software… they should have software that conforms to me.”

Unfortunately, thanks to the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act, some BitTorrent users are considered criminals these days, which means these unusual measures can be forced upon them. In a society where ‘the punishment should fit the crime’, you can’t help but think that somewhere along the line there’s been a big miscalculation when regular citizens are turned into criminals for sharing files."

Source: TorrentFreak
    TorrentFreak: Convicted BitTorrent Admin Fights for his Right to Use Linux - September 08, 2007
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 09-09-2007 at 03:02 AM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    iNSOMNiA's Avatar 1/G BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Sk0t is left with a tough choice. Give in to the evils of the monitoring software, format his hard drive and install Windows
    Neva! I wud rather go back to jail ! Poor kid...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    gimme my ubuntu!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    I'm sure he's happy not to be in jail so he can finally paint those action figures.......
    Now go away.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    I hate to say it but copyright infringement is a crime even though i don't agree with the harsh punishment nowadays. But he should have been aware of his sentence before he pleaded guilty.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    It is obvious that sk0t is being treated in this manner to make others think about the consequences of their actions, should they be caught. This is nothing more than PR to make the rest of us sit up and take note.

sk0t and his treatment is a simple message to all filesharers, which is, 'Get caught, and we'll make the rest of your life hell'. It is a form of intimidation and follows suit with other crimes where there are restrictions placed on you by the probation service.

Whether sk0t warrants this treatment, or whether the punishment fits the crime, is another debate. The simple fact is that the probation service is following a tested pattern for release, in that they must ensure that the crime cannot be easily committed again. It is akin to telling someone who has committed motoring offences that they are not permitted to drive a vehicle during their probation.

As to whether sk0t deserved the punishment he got, obviously he got a a punishment that is meant to make the rest of us think about what we are doing. A lesson learnt, or is it?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    rediculed BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    im sure m$ has something do do with this. hell they prob coded the damn program

invite always be free. no trades. remember sharing is caring.
    bt rep should be abolished.
    life is about choices and consequences. you make your choices but remember only you have yourself to blame when you realize the consequences. personal experience taught me that.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    It isn’t the fact that I have to be monitored that bothers me, it is the fact that I have restructure my life (different OS, different software on that OS)
    So he is saying that his life is his OS and his software? That is sad. He should just get a girlfriend and go cold turkey for the few months he is under observation. It's no big deal if you ask me.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Here's the fight for Linux http://torrentfreak.com/convicted-bi...-linux-070908/

/updated thread
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..