Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current Service Pack For Windows 98se

can anyone tell me the current service pack for windows 98se?
    i've tried googling it and looking at the m$ site, but can't seem to find anything at all.

i'm looking for it cos my cousin needs the latest service pack to install championship manager 4 apparently and i can't find it for him.

thanks in advance for any replies.

p.s. he can't use the windows update site because he doesn't have internet access

p.p.s. it's not possible for him to use my connection because the isp does a line check and if you don't dial from the registered number you can't connect.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    I don't think they released any service packs for Windows 98SE. Win98SE was, basically, a service pack for Windows 98, but foisted off on the public as a "new" operating system.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zacspeed's Avatar Pheasant plucker
    Cl1mh4224rd
    Posted on 3 July 2003 - 06:46

I don't think they released any service packs for Windows 98SE. Win98SE was, basically, a service pack for Windows 98, but foisted off on the public as a "new" operating system. 
    Correct

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    As a last resort, you may still be able to request an update CD from MS.
    I believe it's $10 for the handling costs only.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    hmmm...thanks for the replies guys

when we tried to install champ manager 4, there was an error message basically saying that windows installer services (.msi) was outdated and the service pack had to be downloaded to continue the installation.

this is quite a puzzler, i'll try and get the exact error message next time i'm at his house.

thanks anyway people

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Actually, I think you could probably get an updated installer from another program or off the web. Is Nero installed? It may be enough to update the system. I'm not sure that it has to be a specific update from windows.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by balamm@3 July 2003 - 07:34
    Actually, I think you could probably get an updated installer from another program or off the web. Is Nero installed? It may be enough to update the system. I'm not sure that it has to be a specific update from windows.
    no, he doesn't have a cd-rw drive.
    i'll try installing some software and hope it'll kick the old thing into life

even if we do get it running it'll porbably be extremely slow, but he wants to play a game so i have to help

anyway, thanks for the reply balamm and thanks for the rest of the replies.
    i'll see if i can get it to work

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    Originally posted by 2nd gen noob@3 July 2003 - 07:25

error message basically saying that windows installer services (.msi)
    What was the exact error?
    I recently did a search and found a .msi installer for a friend to install nortons antivirus corp. 8.1.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by skelley521+3 July 2003 - 08:23--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skelley521 @ 3 July 2003 - 08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-2nd gen noob@3 July 2003 - 07:25

error message basically saying that windows installer services (.msi)
    What was the exact error?
    I recently did a search and found a .msi installer for a friend to install nortons antivirus corp. 8.1. [/b][/quote]
    i don&#39;t know the exact error.

i&#39;ll copy it next time i&#39;m up there.

from what i can remember it was basically a message about an outdated .msi installer

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    HERE is a site you may want to take a look at. If this doesnt help, try a google search for the .msi file or error name; error code.

Hope this helps,
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast