Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scam?

Basically I'm selling an old PC on the internet and through local papers and I've had someone email me asking how much for it. I replied with £200 then got this email;

Dear Seller,
    Thanks very much for your honesy and
    transparency.I will want you to know that i am okay
    with the everything about the (ITEM ) and i will offer
    you £250 for it.

In regards to the (ITEM ) from your place
    (byairline)as soon as the transaction must have been
    sealed. This is how the payment will be made ,a
    client ofmine in UK who is owing me some fund
    £3,500,I will instruct him to issue a cheque in your
    name and once the cheque clears youwill deduct the
    cost of the (ITEM ) compensation and any tax
    incurred and my balance will be send back to my
    shipper via western union money transfer for
    immediate shipping arrangement. I want you to get
    back to me ASAP with the following details below so
    that i can instruct my client to issue the cheque
    asap.

FULL NAME :
    ADDRESS:
    CITY:
    STATE:
    (MOBILE AND LANDLINE PHONE NUMBER: )

Thanks for your understanding in anticipation and hope
    to read from you today.Best regardsb N.B - I
    willcompensate you with £50 for the running arround
    and transportation and also to consider the (ITEM )
    sold to me.......and i will wait until the cheque
    clears in your bank before i arrange for the shipping
    process and aslo i we like you to remove the advert
    from sale.0702401XXXX

regard
    Now don't get me wrong, this has got to be a scam but I just don't see how he's going to scam money from me

The way I see it, he's going to give me a cheque for £3.5K, ask me to bank it, then send him the money via Western Union apart from the £250 (I said I was willing to sell for £200 but he wants to give me £250) and any deductions.

What's stopping me from banking the cheque and then just never sending him the money.

Obviously this is a scam but it got me thinking whether you can scam the scammers.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    It definitely smells fishy. Can't see how he can get any money out of you though, and there's nothing stopping you from keeping the cash. But why would they trust you with this. The only thing I can think of is they want to use you to launder some kind of illegal funds like drug money and send it overseas

3. Lounge   -   #3
    I'm back! :o BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy View Post
    FULL NAME :
    ADDRESS:
    CITY:
    STATE:
    (MOBILE AND LANDLINE PHONE NUMBER: )
    Im guessing thats for you to reply for your details?

Whatever that is, I'm with the person above, Sounds like a money laundering program of some kind.

Nice way to launder really, Send the money to you, You do all the dodgy work and send them back a high percentage which is then pretty much clean money.

Tell them to screw their deal as its not really worth all the bullshit if it is a laundering attempt and you get screwed further down the line somehow.

"If it looks too good to be true, It normally is"

4. Lounge   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I doubt he even wants the pc.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    zoe68's Avatar Enthusiast
    I had some puppies for sale earlier in the year, I had the same thing from John Marcus in West Africa, at the time this was happening on a regular basis on ebay, with mobile phone purchases, he wanted me to post him one of my pups and the change from the £3500 cheque.
    Anyways, it was a big money laundering scam, and if you did decide to keep the money, they simpley reported you to the police for money laundering and theft.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy View Post

Now don't get me wrong, this has got to be a scam but I just don't see how he's going to scam money from me

The way I see it, he's going to give me a cheque for £3.5K, ask me to bank it, then send him the money via Western Union apart from the £250 (I said I was willing to sell for £200 but he wants to give me £250) and any deductions.

What's stopping me from banking the cheque and then just never sending him the money.

Obviously this is a scam but it got me thinking whether you can scam the scammers.
    Chances are the cheque or money order is stolen or forged. You may think you are scamming the scammers, but if it is money laundering (I can't see how it isn't), do you really want the money trail ending in your account?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    It is definitely a scam. I've gotten responses like this multiple times when selling things on eBay. If you send the item, you'll never hear from the responder again.

DON'T DO IT!

yo

8. Lounge   -   #8
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Thinking about it you may find that you don't even get a cheque. It's asking for personal information which could be used for identity theft.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    It is definitely a scam. I've gotten responses like this multiple times when selling things on eBay. If you send the item, you'll never hear from the responder again.

DON'T DO IT!
    Cheers guys.

Always knew it was a scam, just couldn't see how they were scamming me

10. Lounge   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Definitely a scam. Couple points: offers to pay more, ship it to him (not local), all personal info, check over the amount (he trusts you why???).

Just 1 way this would work out as a scam, there are other ways. The check clears (but not really). Then a month or so later your bank goes after you for the funds.

I guarantee this is a SCAM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast