Thread: Solution To Recording Industries Threatened Lawsui

Mr. Jepp, my friend, proposes sending $1 from each P2P subscriber to pay for the defense of those targeted by Recording Industry Lawsuits (...hmmm...MILLIONs for defense, even if most people don't kick in a dollar...)

To quote Mr. Jepp: If this is the best solution the Recording Industry has to solve their problem(to sue KaZaA subscribers, that is...), they are in bigger trouble than they think.

Actually, it's quite possible to fund a movement to change the copyright laws, either by referendum, or by influence peddling, as the Recording Companies know [actually, we could pay for some legal advice, as I do not know the law]. However with MILLIONS of P2P users, WE HAVE CLOUT. We need to organize, and show these GREEDY executives, that they have it very good right now. They are waking up a sleeping giant, that they might not like.... What if we decide TO CUT THE RECORDING INDUSTRY OUT OF THE LOOP. THEY ARE JUST "MIDDLEMEN", riding the coat-tails and pocketbooks of the artists. Hell, half the time THEY are the ones exploiting the artists. Why don't we distribute the music directly OURSELVES via the internet rather than stores. With no "mortar and brick", and no middlemen(i.e.the RECORDING EXECUTIVES), the artists would easily get more, and we would get more.
    They should focus their efforts on commercial ventures that flout the copyright laws by mass producing counterfeit CDs for profit, not sueing students or the un/underemployed that may download music for their own pleasure, some of which may be copyrighted.
    The people they seem to be targeting own personal CD players/recorders that ARE NOT SETUP FOR MASS REPLICATION.
    The hardcore illegal mass copyright infringers are the ones who DON'T download music, but buy it in the store and reproduce thousands of exact copies per hour on special machines for the purpose of ill gotten profit.
    Instead of focusing on these for-profit criminal enterprises, they are setting their gun sites on the very people that made the recording industry what it is today. Well, I believe that things are about to change.

To paraphrase THE DOORS (1st album I ever bought):

They got the GUNS,
    but...
    We got the NUMBERS....

Sincerely,

itizlala
    a non-commercial entity
    one of the Millions of the P2P who enjoy music in ALL it's forms
    [and has spent probably THOUSANDS of $$s over the last 40 years for music appreciation]

Note: I originally posted this in http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php...&threadid=12051 thinking it was the k-lite forum (content slightly changed)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    wow, couldn't agree more

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    There are a few websites already setting up to confront the RIAA.

There is one run by musicians that contains a public letter telling the RIAA that they are NOT acting on their behalf....all musicians and copyright holders are encouraged to sign up.

There is another that is proposing that we all send broken Audio CDs back to the RIAA, as part of a campaign (they also tell you how to rip/copy them 1st, so you dont loose the album.

Those are 2 examples, im sure there are many more.

Im sure you'll find details of some of these campaigns by searching this room

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    n00b
    I thought your post was superb!!!! The little people are getting kicked in the ass when the big people are making knock offs of CD's and videos are getting away scott free. I guess it is easier to find us and take our money then find them. Where is the justice????????

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Yea-i agree-the music industry is helly corrupt and since the riaa cant win in court, their goin after the little ppl. Great Post!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    n00b
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@4 July 2003 - 10:52
    There are a few websites already setting up to confront the RIAA.

There is one run by musicians that contains a public letter telling the RIAA that they are NOT acting on their behalf....all musicians and copyright holders are encouraged to sign up.

There is another that is proposing that we all send broken Audio CDs back to the RIAA, as part of a campaign (they also tell you how to rip/copy them 1st, so you dont loose the album.

Those are 2 examples, im sure there are many more.

Im sure you'll find details of some of these campaigns by searching this room
    Do you have some URL's for these websites?
    I saw on another site (I'll post it if I find it) that the RIAA was willing to allow for "settlements" in these cases. I wonder if some of these musicians would be willing to help those who were sued.

If any musician out there is reading this, I think it would be a wonderful extension of the anti-Industry message.

Just a thought... SJG

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by itizlala@3 July 2003 - 15:53
    To paraphrase THE DOORS (1st album I ever bought):

They got the GUNS, but... We got the NUMBERS....
    This very reason is why filesharing won't die. There are too many users to catch, and not enough resources. You are very safe here.
    Proud member of MDS