Thread: Sound help!

Ok, so... my audio seems to be working fine (I can listen to music and stuff), although when I try to record something, I don't hear anything when I play the file.

I use Audacity for ripping streamed music and it seems that you would have to choose the WaveOut option so you could record stuff, although I don't have that option which is weird because I used to have that option when I was still using XP on my old computer. And so then I searched around Google and happened to stumble upon this site:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/01...ding-in-vista/

If you've noticed the sound settings in that link I posted above have more options (Aux, CD Player, Mono Out, etc), and it bothers me that I only have the Stereo Mix even with the "Show Disabled Devices" ticked:

I'm running Vista Home, and my soundcard is Realtek. Do I have to change my soundcard or download a codec or something?

Help please.

PS, sorry for the double posts. I don't know if it's my connection or FST making it slow and crappy.
    Last edited by rawr; 08-25-2007 at 01:29 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    maxehhh's Avatar Downloader BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    you need to download the soundcard driver for vista :\

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Maybe if you enable Stereo Mix, you will then get other devices (possibly after a reboot).

Clearly you already have the required drivers otherwise Vista would not even understand that the Realtek chip has the stereo mix possibility.

Also, looking at the downloadsquad link, it is apparent that the Wave Out Mix device is directly related to the Soundmax chip, it could be that Realtek have simply given it a different name.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    stereo mix = wave out does it not?

When I set to stereo mix I can use the recorder in MSN Messenger to record whatever sounds my PC is putting out.

edit: Now that I think about it, vista doesn't even have wave...

edit2: Stereomix is the same as wave out, it says so in your link. Wave out is just the name that soundmax gave it...most others call it stereo mix, mono mix.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Did you know that you don't get an echo from a duck's quack?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.