Thread: samsung ml2010 driver wont' install; software firewall; 56.6 fax modem

PRINTER

i recently installed windows vista ultimate and ive had a hard time getting it to recognize the samsung ml2010 printer. ive tried what was suggested here and elsewhere and nothing worked. i did however get it recognize my printer locally when i installed it as a dell1100 and it works. however, the printer belongs to a network and i can't find a driver anywhere that will work. each time i try the driver from here

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...&cttID=1291306

i get the error, "cannot install kernel mode driver".

any suggestions would be appreciated but ive tried a lot of them.

SOFTWARE FIREWALL

also could someone suggest a good software firewall that will work with vista, i have ZA 6.XX and it will not install as well. maybe im missing something to get it work.

FAX MODEM

i have a pci 56.6k modem (I201/I202 V.90 ambient(intel) controller-less Modem I101H) that i used on my old machine and it works fine on windows xp. its about 7 years old and i tried using the old drivers but sure enough it didn't work with vista. no luck finding a vista driver using google. maybe someone could suggest a way around this or at least a cheap fax modem. i do a lot of faxing. thanks in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Kaspersky Internet Security v6 and v7 both work with Vista. In my view it's the best AV/Firewall package on the market at the moment.

Recommend a cheap fax modem? They all are. I don't think I've seen one selling for more than about UK£8 for years now.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I'd get an external serial modem so you could use it to dual boot or LiveCD a Linux distro. External serial modems are the easiest to get to work with Linux.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    thanks for the help. i ended up going with kaspersky. i still havent found anything for the printer issue or the fax modem that will work with vista

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by ftcnt View Post
    thanks for the help. i ended up going with kaspersky. i still havent found anything for the printer issue or the fax modem that will work with vista

Google a fix as this is nothing new , had the same problem with XP
    and a old Toshiba printer . Found a driver that worked from a forum on drivers .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i did find a support page to help with the problem but nothing to fix it. i have found information elswhere but nothing for my situation. others have had a similar problem but trying their approach didnt work.

the issue with the printer is with kernel mode printer drivers vs user mode printer drivers. in case anyone else has a similar issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931719/en-us