Thread: A little dream of mine involving a 7 series beemer

silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    I've always had this extreme urge to buy a car and fix it up or supe it up. I was looking at an ad I found in one of those free car sale books when I picked up my carry-out at a restaurant today. As I'm looking through the book looking for a beemer or a suby, I run across a '97 740iL for $6900 and I think, wow what a great deal so then I go online to look locally for it and I find a '99 BMW 740iL for $3900 with some dents and some minor interior damage but it looks awesome to fix up and I've also always wanted a BMW. Only problem is I know I will NEVER be allowed to buy it so I'm a little depressed right now so I felt like sharing my feelings - it makes me feel slightly better.

here she is

My mom won't even let me drive there to look at it because it is 46 miles away.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    That car is hellaciously expensive to maintain, much less "supe up".

My brother just had the brakes done on his 740.
    Only cost $1400...and that was standard maintenance, not a performance upgrade or anything.

Your Mom is smart.
    Nobody is selling a $70K car for four grand unless it has something terminally wrong with it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Lounge   -   #3
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Nobody is selling a $70K car for four grand unless it has something terminally wrong with it.
    Although I agree that it is expensive to maintain and I know that. Saying it is a $70,000 is stupid. This is a 8 year old car that has damage to it and heavy mileage, I think the price is justified well. I'm sure your friend owns that 740 because he is obviously serious about the car.

We recently bought a '69 Camaro and restored it pretty damn well, and I am interested in a BMW for myself.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    who buys a $70,000 car and treats it like that?

5. Lounge   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall3n ELiTE View Post
    Saying it is a $70,000 is stupid.
    Calling me stupid, eh?

I know that a used one isn't worth $70K, that's the new car price.
    Clearly though, that puts it in the higher end of the car market and BMW charges accordingly for parts/service.

BTW, the Kelley Blue Book says that car is now worth between $13-16K (average>excellent) so my comment about the shadiness of the extreme low price still stands.

Keep dreaming.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg