Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I The Only Person Sharing?

Poster
    Originally posted by iamtheoneandonlyone@4 July 2003 - 05:51
    That's not funny. Besides there are 3,000,000 other people who are sharing as well unless there selfish. Of course I share too so you can't say your the only one sharing.
    And fewer than 1 million are sharing, according to various statistics I've seen.

And of those sharing, MOST aren't sharing more than a handful of files -- often only briefly sharing and then removing+burning them.

And VERY few people share movies...

Common excuse: they take up too much hard drive space.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    It does seem like KaZaA is dying doesnt it........How very very sad

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Poster
    film = movie = typically huge 300+ MB file that most people don't like to share many of, even if they ARE sharing files.

The demand for downloadable movies is enormous (as it only takes a couple minutes to queue one up), but the time it takes for someone to upload one is often measured in days. So this means even IF a file is shared the second it is downloaded, the sheer numbers of people trying to get a particularly popular movie coupled with few successes to generate more sources means the problem only gets worse as time goes on instead of better.

Figure in a >80% leech ratio and it gets kinda pointless to try to get huge movies off Kazaa.

I blame RIAA/MPAA/BSA and Kazaa users that don't know how to share without crippling their connection for this problem.

But that doesn't mean Kazaa is a failure, it just means don't rely on it for movies.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Poster
    What a bunch of doom merchants!

It's 0725 GMT and I've just searched for Ice Age while I type this - result 274 available file size 711Meg and when I hit download (just done it) it comes slamming in at 30+Kbps.

Now for a "standard" - return of the jedi - I've found 20 users in 10 seconds and I'm now downloading - hang on while I check the speed - 32 Kbps.

So whats the problem?

Jagmans tips

1 single word search (Jedi)

2 set size to "at least" 640 and eliminate loads of dross

3 If no results inside 2 mins, disconnect Kazaa and re-connect.

4 Play patience, learn a mystic oriental philosophy (origami is good&#33 or take prozac
    DOWNLOADING IS FUN - SHARING IS SUBLIME
    When all else fails - read the instructions!!!
    LEEDS UNITED - WE'LL BE BACK

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    oldjagman. In reply to your last. Searched in verifieds for Life As A House which is not the newest film out and selected to download as a Hash( this after several fake files) This has now been waiting patiently for 8days to download, I have jumped supernodes so many times I have lost count. If there's another way Please tell me. This problem seems to be common from other people. By the way I'm on broadband so thats not the reason. If someone does let me upload at 0.06 which happens at times it lasts for 5mins. Max.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Poster
    KB - there is no other way.

We are at the mercy of popular and critical taste. I've looked for Life as a House and found, after 10 minutes searching, 2 people offering dvd quality with a bandwidth of 15. I then did a test with another "nearly" film from 2001 - John Cusack's Serendipity - and found a group of 5 sharing!

I like Star Wars so when I first came to Kazaa I looked for Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace. There were hundreds of Clones but only a handful of Menaces! From this I deduce that people only maintain movies for a limited duration and then replace with a newer download (I do this myself) BUT I do keep the rarer ones (I still have Phantom Menace on HD).

Turning to critical taste, I had no trouble finding Metropolis, Citizen Kane, Rashomon and Yojimbo but Alphaville is not out there nor is the (incredible but obscure) L'immortelle.

It's the same with music - lots of verions of Curtis Lees' Pretty little angel eyes but very few of A night at Daddy Gees by the same artist.

Moral - anyone whose tastes diverge from the general is going to have a hard slog finding what they want and, when we do we owe to all the other oddballs out there to share it.

Happy hunting - its time for my herbal tea and cumpets!

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Poster
    PS (slurp, crunch) switching supernodes wont make much (if any) difference but the number of users on line will. Best results are weekdays when its afternoon/evening in the USA and during University term time.

If you dont believe me then see how the on line numbers sink at next thanksgiving (they plummeted on independence day)

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    hayy i got 56k internet and i share, i get abt 250+MB download and 150+MB upload after 15 hr being on kazaa, after that all i can do is hope that halps.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Alot of people disabled File uploading. Though 3-4 Million people are online a day (I remember when it was 4.6 Million...) many aren't uploading. Just watch the statistics of how many GB or how many files are being shared.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    BANNED
    we should all share money and then all become leeches

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast