Hello all. i just registered here because for some time ive been interested in file sharing but am fairly PC foolish.
if i ask any questions that are illegal or stupid please forgive me.. like i said i dont even know what im alowed to do and what is a no no.
my interests ( and i think i have the right site) are the ability to download movies to DVD, games ( Xbox mainly) and of course music.
ive heard from a few people ( a couple at a Best Buy store) that they actualy download these and have quite a selection. unfortunately i asked this question at "PC Pitstop" and was promptly told "NO illegal information" and the topic was locked.
well .... maybe im just too simple but did they mean everything i asked was illegal or just some parts.
i realy dont understand how all this works but as of today im determined to learn and, if i can do it, purchase what i need.
this file sharing sounds like a fun downtime hobby.
so heres my questions.
1. obviously id like to know what is actualy alowed and what of all the things ive asked is a no no.
2. how can i.. if i can. down load DVD movies.. ive heard i can even download some of them before they come out at places like Block Busters.. (a rental place i abhore)
3. the same as #2 but for music instead of movies
4. same as #2 and 3 (laughs) but for games, mainly Xbox.
5. i have a 2 Ghrz, 80 gig Hd, with a 128 mb Ge force 4 ti 4400. cd writer only... no dvd as of yet, and of course floppy.
what other equipment would i need if i am able to do this.. i was told ( by the same Best Buy felas) that the average joe cant do it ( no offense to any of you named Joe) and that i had to have my own server , ect.. blah blah blah.. i dont remember what all he said
6. how is security handled with file sharing? ive heard horror stories of PC's actualy being destroyed.. and although mine isnt the top of the line.. its something i saved quite a long time for , so im a bit terified of that.
7. can a person take advantage of this with out leaving his/her pc open for use. not that i dont want to share..but as of yet im afraid i dont have anything worth taking.. heck i dont even have windows xp.. the program came on my pc.. sad i know.
8. what am i missing (laughs) sorry but i realy am new to this.
ps. i know a lot of this is scattered through out this very information packed site.. and i looked and found answeres to some of it.. but much of the information that ive found on the internet is obscure, incomplete or is simply different from each other. i was hoping for a few responses that i can print out and hold onto. i guess i need a bible type of response that i can keep in a folder.
( i know its asking a lot, but maybe there is someone out there that has some extra time on thier hands )
PSS. i might have sent this message twice.. the first time my pc froze and im not sure if it went through or not.. sorry if it did.