Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with my computer - possible heat issue?

memnom's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    if u can afford get a x1950GT AGP from newegg/ebay for 139.99, a Hella lot better than 7600gt AGP. its the decent card that wont burn a hole in ur pocket.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    so, i guess it's not the cpu overheating... psu good? swap that out. if that doesn't help how many sticks of ram do u have? try using just 1 stick. maybe one of ur sticks is bad.
    I have 2 sticks of 512MB both have been tested in other machines and are fine.

From the image I posted above the only temperature that stays the same is the one 'stuck' on 128C.

Temp2 which on the screen shot is on fire, usually stays on fire but I have seen it move about randomly, never really high but I have seen it go down to green a few times.

The last Temp1 (which is on fire in the screen shot) has a blue arrow facing down now and is only 37C which seems fine but as soon as I play a game it shoots back up.

The two HDD's never really go above 45C and I saw them as low as 25Cish the other day.

Any ideas...

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Just tried rechecking the memory by taking 1 stick out and running on 512MB then testing it and doing the same with the other stick; same problem.

Had a look round the BIOS and it says;

System Temp - 29C
    CPU Temp - 55C

That sounds a tad high doesn't it?

What kind of fan/heatskin would I be looking at for a Pentium 4 3.40GHz with hyper threading? I've had a look round the device manager and can't find a model number or whatever, only the following information;

GENUINEINTEL_-_X86_FAMILY_15_MODEL_2\_0
    INTEL PENDTIUM 4 PROCESSOR H-T(FSB800)

The computer is an Advent 3519 and everything is the same as when it was brought bar a new DVD-RW drive (which no longer works) and I've had to pop in my old MX440 as the FX5700 that was in there went kaput.

Edit: Full PC spec here.
    Last edited by Peerzy; 09-11-2007 at 03:34 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    any heatsink made for a p4 will work, just get one of those heatpipe coolers by thermaltake, or whoever they are. They usually say what cpu they are made for. and 55c is a little high. new thermal paste, especially if you are using the stock heatsink that came with the pc, cuz that heatsink was designed for that cpu, unless you have it overclocked like nuts lol.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I think your first temp listed is whats usually called the motherboard temp and will always be lower than the cpu, the next or temp2 is your cpu and the third is probably and unused temp sensor thats why it never changes and the other temp1 at the bottom is probably the same as the first but just a different zone (two sensors set in differrent places on the die).

Two things to check would be your venting of the PC (there could be a clogged filter up front between the front bezel and the case) and your cpu heatsink. The heatsink could be clogged with dust or the thermal grease may have dryed up and is inefficient. Also check your fans to see that there all moving air properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12