Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Usenet Content

I recently got usenet from powerusenet and am happy about the speed......not 100% tho as I was expecting to max my connection.

So I came here to ask a question of how I could possibly max it.

My download speed is usually at 50mbit to 70mbit (thats the max I've gotten so far), my connection speed however is 100mbit so as you could see, there's still alot of room for improvement.

Connections I've set is 12 and on port 563.......the only think I could think of is to change the port to something else? I've tried 119 btw

oh and I'm in Europe

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    What is your max speed? What does speedtest.com tell you?
    My torrents come in at 600k/sec steady....
    usenet evens out at 300k/sec
    Now go away.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    there is defiantly something wrong speed wise you really should max out your connection. by the way who is your isp.

im with usenetserver/bt and im at a constant 720k

oh yeah are you uploading lots as well. that tends to kill your download speed.

try using their globalsearch for stuff you like. found a few Werner Herzog films listed there if that what your after.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Ah yes, as 4play stated, make sure you aren't running something else that's eating up your bandwidth. i.e., uTorrent.

yo

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    Most peeps here use p2p and usenet. It is often said usenet, Bit Torrent, emule are all you need. Despite being on WinMx for years I feel thats pretty accurate.

P2P is great there is no way e mule would break the speed barrier but it is a trusty source. Bit Torrent can be fast but can also be slower than the mule. Usenet I always max my speed but as others have said do not have p2p apps open or if you do set the speed low so you should see a massive increase in line speed.

Sadly ISP's have started traffic shaping usenet but those that do also will target BT as it is the number 1 bandwidth hog. You really ought to max out on usenet fella.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    rippinitup4fun's Avatar alt.binaries.*
    try using SSL when I use it I always max my connection.
    Last edited by rippinitup4fun; 09-06-2007 at 11:53 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    I am not a n00b BT Rep: +4
    I have been with usenetserver for the last six months and have never had a problem with speeds and also in the uk like you, can only think the problem is on your side.

Maybe try SSL like the above poster as mentioned and see how it goes.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    Anyone else with Powerusenet and with 100mbit connection speed?

I can't seem to max it.......the max speed I get is 8,8MB/sec and its rare that it goes that high, I should be getting 12,5MB/sec.....

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    there is defiantly something wrong speed wise you really should max out your connection. by the way who is your isp.

im with usenetserver/bt and im at a constant 720k

oh yeah are you uploading lots as well. that tends to kill your download speed.

try using their globalsearch for stuff you like. found a few Werner Herzog films listed there if that what your after.
    I'm on usenetserver/rural internet
    No other apps running....I tried globalsearch but it needs a login Thanks anyways...the thing is I have everything I've seen on usenet so far...my fault I guess for being old....
    Now go away.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    lol as if 8.8mb isnt enough hehe i wish i would get that I tend to only reach 175.... even if my ddl would reach 750, i have 8mb net and use grabit using my internet provider news site.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast