Thread: NAS server box questions....

I am stuck in college, and everything here is censored and torrents are banned. I cant download files with a extension such as .torrent, and certainly cant run torrents I already have up. Would something such as this... http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...79&modelmenu=1 solve all my issues? It seems perfect. I have no ethernet ports here, and dont want to plug it into my computer at all. Can I just sit it in the corner of my dorm, and let it pickup a wifi signal and download the torrents I have put on it? Or is there something else that just auto connects to the nearest signal and starts downloading torrents I have put on it. Our internet needs a log in, but something like this should be able to bypass that right? I mean, a lot of wireless devices just get internet without logging in Im sure, can it fool the network into thinking it is one?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    You would still be using the school's inet connect though, so you're still behind their routers. Unless I'm misinterpreting the issue, I don't think this would help.

I'm sure you are broke (as are most college students) but maybe look into a 3rd party ISP. Maybe there is a wi-fi carrier in the area with coverage over the school grounds, they would likely give you unlimited internet access and completely solve your problems.

Good Luck

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Its not going to do a thing for you,

its a router, you would use a router to share a single connections to multiple computers, wireless if you choose, but its not going to do what you are looking for.

You probably need to get off the schools network. either get you own ISP or get a seedbox that you can work from and FTP what you want from it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    If you go through proxy or encrypt your traffic maybe?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clos's Avatar The Zinc Saucier BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    next time you try downloading a .torrent file, right click and save as and then remove the .torrent extension and add a .txt extension, then change it back when it finishes downloading....maybe this will work? good luck

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    You should get a VPN account. Totally secure and tunnel everything. You might want to consider learning linux as well. Maybe a SSH would help.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    what would a vpn do for me? Would I have to connect to some outer computer and redirect it to mine?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    Yes. You would connect to another server, they would assign you an IP on their network and encrypt all traffic.