Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPAA Pushes Lawmakers to Criminalize Movie Camming

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "The MPAA is currently on a world tour trying to convince politicians to introduce legislation that criminalizes the recording of movies in cinemas. The MPAA already succeeded in Canada, Japan and Italy, and their next stop is the UK."

"Their goal is to make movie camming a criminal instead of a civil offense to clear the way for more severe punishments. New laws often allow punishments up to several years jail time and exorbitant fines.

This week MPAA chairman Dan Glickman is visiting the UK to talk to UK film minister Margaret Hodge, advisors to the UK prime minister Gordon Brown, and representatives from the UK Film Council. Glickman will probably sum up the familiar made-up statistics we read in every MPAA press release to convince the lawmakers that pirates are in fact terrorists.

Crazy or not, unfortunately it seems like their approach is working. Theater owners slowly start to alienate their customers and go as fas as using metal detectors and night-vision goggles to track down movie cammers. Everyone could be a pirate these days and theater employees are trained and rewarded up to $500 for catching pirates.

As a result, a Virgin[i]a teenager was busted for recording a few seconds of the movie “Transformers” on her cell-phone. The only thing she wanted to do was show it to her 13 year old brother, however, under a new Zero-Tolerance Policy, police responded to the call from Regal Cinemas who promptly arrested Sejas.

On a sidenote, Hollywood just had its best summer ever. In a response to this great news MPAA chairman Dan Glickman said “As Shakespeare said, ‘The play is the thing.’ As long as we offer good quality stories that people like and a comfortable place to see them, people will go to the movies.” A comfortable place? Right."

Source: TorrentFreak
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 09-06-2007 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Spelling.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Flash360's Avatar Member BT Rep: +1
    They should, cams really suck

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash360 View Post
    They should, cams really suck
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    In a response to this great news MPAA chairman Dan Glickman said “As Shakespeare said, ‘The play is the thing.’ As long as we offer good quality stories that people like and a comfortable place to see them, people will go to the movies.”

Well Dan, you'll find that you cannot get more comfortable than your own home.

That is the real crux behind the cinema. It is an outdated mode of delivery that was conceived in the days when television was not a medium for viewing. These days, many people have a home cinema setup, or very nearly, and most people prefer to view in the comfort, and the privacy, of their own home.

The last time I visited the cinema, I left half way through the film because a group of juveniles were ruining it for me, and the only two options open were to leave, or to get into a fight. In this instance, I don't think night vision goggles or metal detectors would have made any difference.

Ironic that undesirable people can ruin the cinema experience (mpaa hype) and the cinema is not interested one bit, yet produce some sort of recording device (cam, phone etc.) and they sit up and take note.

As for me, I beleive in having a choice. If I buy a DVD, I can watch it over and over again, yet the cinema only offers a one shot viewing, and you have to pay to watch it a second time (or a third time). That means that the price of a cinema ticket is actually very poor value for money.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFoX View Post
    In a response to this great news MPAA chairman Dan Glickman said “As Shakespeare said, ‘The play is the thing.’ As long as we offer good quality stories that people like and a comfortable place to see them, people will go to the movies.”

That is the real crux behind the cinema. It is an outdated mode of delivery that was conceived in the days when television was not a medium for viewing. These days, many people have a home cinema setup, or very nearly, and most people prefer to view in the comfort, and the privacy, of their own home.

The last time I visited the cinema, I left half way through the film because a group of juveniles were ruining it for me, and the only two options open were to leave, or to get into a fight. In this instance, I don't think night vision goggles or metal detectors would have made any difference.

Ironic that undesirable people can ruin the cinema experience (mpaa hype) and the cinema is not interested one bit, yet produce some sort of recording device (cam, phone etc.) and they sit up and take note.

As for me, I beleive in having a choice. If I buy a DVD, I can watch it over and over again, yet the cinema only offers a one shot viewing, and you have to pay to watch it a second time (or a third time). That means that the price of a cinema ticket is actually very poor value for money.

I completely disagree with your statement, I prefer watching movies in a cimena, you just dont get that great big screen experiance at home! take 300 for example, while amazing in the cinema, it was rather dull on my own television.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    phantom's Avatar the shadow... BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post

I completely disagree with your statement, I prefer watching movies in a cimena, you just dont get that great big screen experiance at home! take 300 for example, while amazing in the cinema, it was rather dull on my own television.
    yes Mr.Moo, i agree with u... the big screen of cinema is something else, unique, but do u like to walk on cinema fo view a good movie and somebody to disturb u: sorry mr. but is somebody near u who make an illegal copy... or something like that... so in conclusion, when u go to the cinema u pay and u go, first, to see a good movie, and second, to see this movie in quite and in a little comfort... no?

to be, or not to be... what do u choose?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    limpdickkid's Avatar Free Ringdings rule BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    yes Mr.Moo, i agree with u... the big screen of cinema is something else, unique, but do u like to walk on cinema fo view a good movie and somebody to disturb u: sorry mr. but is somebody near u who make an illegal copy... or something like that... so in conclusion, when u go to the cinema u pay and u go, first, to see a good movie, and second, to see this movie in quite and in a little comfort... no?
    I have no idea as to what you just said.

But I agree with TheFox. Although I dont have a home "cinema", just a small screen, but I prefer watching movies on that with family and frineds in a more controlled environment where I dont have to buy rip-off priced snacks. Here in London if you get nachos and a drink it costs almost as much as the ticket. And if you're a student its more.
    Search RS: Click
    To get the latest scene releases on RS with good pre-times goto: http://www.rslinks.org/
    Alt.Binz 0.28.2
    For an organised list of NZB searching and indexing sites go here -> Click Me...4 N.Z.B. ...it rhymes
    For latest goals goto: www.101greatgoals.com
    To stream sports goto www.myp2p.eu

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    I would like to address Mister Moo's statement...

My first sentence was...

I won't comment on what sort of TV you view material on, but you have to remember that there is a massive choice of viewing equipment these days. We are no longer tied to 14" portables (hence 50" WideScreen, or even a home projector and White Screen).

Your own personal circumstances may well be different from everyone else who reads this post. I have to comment that I do find my seating at home much more comfortable than those fixed seats found at cinemas. I obviously cannot comment on the quality of your own seats, because I do not know what you sit on at home.

As for my second statement....

Are you trying to tell me that something that dates back to the 1880's can compete with modern technology for deliverance. When we have cable, sattelite, digital and original analogue for delivery mechanisms, you think that leaving the comfort of your own home to travel to a dedicated building to view a show can compete with having that same material piped into your own home. I do not comment on the viewing device you use, but the method of delivery. If you chose to watch a film on a 14" portable, then seeing it on a large screen would do a film justice, but if you invest in a home cinema setup, then nothing beats being able to watch, at your leisure and in the comfort of your own home, the said material.

My final statement says it all. We should have a choice. If we wish to watch the material in an archaic institute, then that is our choice. Personally, I think the archaic institute should be for those who cannot afford to buy themselves a home cinema, as an option, with the choice to view at home for those of us who have invested in the technology to view films as they were intended to be watched.

The whole point of my post, Mister Moo, was to discuss the deliver method, and not ones own personal viewing device. I hope you finally get the point of my post.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    It is still delivered via the methods you want if you wait until the movie is out of theaters. Why would Hollywood make a movie available on disk or online when they can first make money in the cinemas then make money on the disk? Besides if it were available via modern technology on the release date it would be even easier to pirate a new product.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    spark's Avatar Super Seeder BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    2 bad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast