Thread: Problem in Win XP

snake696's Avatar Get Familiar BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    When i installed my windows xp several weeks ago, i made an image backup of drive c: with acronis true image; yesterday i discovered some viruses and trojans , so i restored my xp from the backup image with acronis.

But now everytime i try to install a program or simply to enter in control panel, i get an error saying that :

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I went in safe mode and my account is with administrator privileges.

Can anyone tell me pls what should i do ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    raspberry1331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Are you using Kerio? If so, try disabling the system security module. (Found this piece of info after some googling.)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    snake696's Avatar Get Familiar BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    i am using sygate. but i don't think that the firewall has anything to do with my problem.
    i think that there is a problem with rundll32

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    rediculed BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by snake696 View Post
    When i installed my windows xp several weeks ago, i made an image backup of drive c: with acronis true image; yesterday i discovered some viruses and trojans , so i restored my xp from the backup image with acronis.

But now everytime i try to install a program or simply to enter in control panel, i get an error saying that :

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I went in safe mode and my account is with administrator privileges.

Can anyone tell me pls what should i do ?
    check that you have the same drive letter now as you did before you restored. i know it may seem really wierd and retarded but acronis does sometimes change the drive letter when you restore and can cause all kinds of strange problems.ive had my c drive (windows) changed to e and my 2 opticals moved to c and d. its a know bug in acronis ti since version 7 but they dont seem to want to fix it. id check the drive letters first.

invite always be free. no trades. remember sharing is caring.
    bt rep should be abolished.
    life is about choices and consequences. you make your choices but remember only you have yourself to blame when you realize the consequences. personal experience taught me that.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    raspberry1331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by snake696 View Post
    i am using sygate. but i don't think that the firewall has anything to do with my problem.
    i think that there is a problem with rundll32
    a firewall can decide to block rundll32 as well... but you do have a different firewall, so maybe your problem is different this time. checking the drive letters is a very good idea though.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    spark's Avatar Super Seeder BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    I think you still have a virus.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    reinstall XP its my only solution...