Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My (overly)patriotic Post

Yes, I feel that it deserved to be posted on that similar one too. Perhaps you will copy it for me and post it there. I am not so handy with these controls yet.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by hobbes+5 July 2003 - 22:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes @ 5 July 2003 - 22:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Rat Faced@5 July 2003 - 18:02
    I consider myself patriotic.

However, that does not mean i will agree with what my Government is doing in my name, necessarily....thats just "head in the sand"
    Rat,

Who or what was that directed at? From the original post:

"Patriotism does not mean you are fully happy, but you feel that a system is in place that you can work with to effect change."

I think we have a good system of government. I believe in the principles on which my country was founded, I believe that I have the ability to work with system to make change when the actions of my government disappoint me and I certainly have the right to call "foul" when I see it."

You should watch Meet the Press. Five guys sit around and discuss how Bush is dealing with the current issues on national television. You would hardly call what comes from this show "blind patriotism" as it can be a bit h4r5h, but at the end of the day, they still go home proud to be Americans.

I fail to see how I can be seen as someone with his head in the sand. [/b][/quote]
    It wasnt aimed at anyone.

Its just the way "I" feel.

I know that you dont have your "head in the sand"...Ive seen you critical of your government.

Indeed, ive seen most of the US contingent (including S&A) critisise the US government....so please, just because you feel you are under attack by some, do not include me in THAT party

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    I am also not attacking you Hobbes. Not in the least. The truth is more important than the facts.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    No offense taken from either party, but tonight, a party there must be&#33;
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    echidna's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by hobbes+5 July 2003 - 22:45--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes &#064; 5 July 2003 - 22:45)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@5 July 2003 - 18:02
    I consider myself patriotic.

However, that does not mean i will agree with what my Government is doing in my name, necessarily....thats just "head in the sand"
    Rat,

Who or what was that directed at? From the original post:

"Patriotism does not mean you are fully happy, but you feel that a system is in place that you can work with to effect change."

I think we have a good system of government. I believe in the principles on which my country was founded, I believe that I have the ability to work with system to make change when the actions of my government disappoint me and I certainly have the right to call "foul" when I see it." ... I fail to see how I can be seen as someone with his head in the sand. [/b]

@Rat Faced :: i nearly included you as an example of a patriot on the board, yet had avoided it as i see you expressing a more complex identity, involving the relations of groups within the nation you&#39;re part of. i value your perspective being about the board

i find myself feeling great pride for the land i&#39;m from while often abhorring the persons and actions of the nation[government] which occupies it

@hobbes :: it is precisely because our systems provide for us to express our views
    and that democratic systems, such as we live under, demand criticism and debate to enhance and ensure their good function.
    this is why i try to get americans to tell me how they feel about their nations actions abroad
    [israel has been trying to find security through aggression for decades, and now the USA acts as if it&#39;s to try a similar experiment :: the stakes are enormous for almost all the world and yet many americans often refuse to discuss the situation beyond refusing to discuss it]
    it makes being interested in your opinions a frustrating hit and miss affair
    isn&#39;t the price of freedom supposed to be eternal vigilance
    <!--QuoteBegin-http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=00-database-info&db=wn

vigilance

n 1: the process of paying close and continuous attention [syn: watchfulness, alertness] 2: vigilant attentiveness; "he keeps a weather eye open for trouble" [syn: watchfulness, weather eye]
    [/quote] so i keep trying

anyway curiosity killed the cat i suppose
    i don&#39;t openly endorse any party [apart from the greens, who&#39;re internationalist rather than nationalist] so party on any old which way :beerchug:
    just wanting to hear what some ordinary stateside perspectives are, &#39;cause you&#39;re there. [and i know that the media can&#39;t be relfecting your opinions, and that george isn&#39;t speaking for all of you]

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    I editted this simply because it unintentionally came across arrogant in a backhanded way.

I am the king of typos, all bow down to em&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Poster
    I wish I could share your thoughts Hobbes

At tha moment I can Honestly say that I am anti American they are putting my future at risk and they need to be stopped.

There is only one real threat to world safety and america is it.This isn&#39;t a global critism of all Americans but as a country derspise it
    I also despise Tony blaire and our government for getting involved with America over this.
    America But out and leave the world in relative peace.
    I am not scared to say this and I don&#39;t care if you think I am speeking out of turn but I could not be an American I would be a traitor.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Neil__@6 July 2003 - 09:05
    I wish I could share your thoughts Hobbes

At tha moment I can Honestly say that I am anti American they are putting my future at risk and they need to be stopped.

There is only one real threat to world safety and america is it.This isn&#39;t a global critism of all Americans but as a country derspise it
    I also despise Tony blaire and our government for getting involved with America over this.
    America But out and leave the world in relative peace.
    I am not scared to say this and I don&#39;t care if you think I am speeking out of turn but I could not be an American I would be a traitor.
    Interesting worldview, Neil.

I&#39;ve stated before that I think that the US has been overly aggressive &#39;projecting&#39; our agenda on the world stage. I&#39;d like to see us become more selective and cooperate better with other potential allies.
    But we could withdraw altogether as you suggest- after all we do have pressing concerns on the homefront that could easily absorb all of our resources.

Cheerio&#33;

BTW- let us know how you decide to deal with North Korea, Iran, Syria, Libya, et al....
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by hobbes@5 July 2003 - 21:45
    I editted this simply because it unintentionally came across agrogant in a backhanded way.
    Damn Hobbes.

This post must be approaching the record for most major revisions ever&#33;
    Every time I start to formulate a comment it has morphed again.

I&#39;ve never thought you were agrogant.

Shall we talk about boobies now?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Poster
    Clocker I don&#39;t know how to deal with the countries and neither does America
    That&#39;s why it&#39;s absolutely imperitive they stop before they drag the entire world into a conflict nobody wants

up until the twin towers my fiancee and I had an ambition to emigrate to America but unfortunately those events forced us to have a close look at our inteended home and nation.

We didn&#39;t like what we found, there is a lot at fault with our country .
    But the things that are wrong with America are much more in number and far more extreme than Britain so I think now we will probable live in Holland if they will have us and my wife to be agrees.

I just wish as has been stated so many times that America would look to it&#39;s core values and fix itself.

If I have insulted any individual with my view then that was not my intention but unfortunately that has to be a concequence of such a position.

Remember I don&#39;t care if America likes/respects/listens to me
    and isn&#39;t it a shame that America cannot share my ambivolance and respect peoples right to not support it. Look at france labelled traitors and cowards just because they had the sense to avoid a conflict that was nothing but trouble.

Will America give Iraq back to it&#39;s people or will the UN have to go in and free them from American Dictatorship?

Edit PS. I concider myself patriotic to britain even though I chose to leave and if I become a dutchman then I&#39;ll be patriotic to two countries and deal with the dilema&#39;s that throws at me.

Edit : Inclusion of Becka.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast