Thread: In Eyeing Phone Battle, CEO Jobs Blinks

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Apple's surprise price cut of its ballyhooed iPhone worried investors that sales of the handheld might be slowing -- and angered those who had already bought the multimedia device.

Apple AAPL shares fell 5% Wednesday and 1.3% Thursday, after the company cut the price of its 8-gigabyte iPhone by $200, or 33%, to $399. The aggressive price cut came just 69 days after the product was launched. Apple also is discontinuing its 4 GB iPhone.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, in making several announcements Wednesday at a media event centered on new iPod music players, said the iPhone price cut is designed to make the product more affordable for mainstream buyers ahead of the holiday season.

But in an open letter posted Thursday afternoon on the company's Web site, Jobs apologized to early iPhone buyers who paid full price. Apple plans to offer those buyers a $100 credit good for purchases at Apple's online or retail stores. Jobs wrote that details will be posted on the Apple Web site next week.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...1-19409903.htm

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Jobs apologized to early iPhone buyers who paid full price.
    Yea, I'd be pissed, but hey...wait awhile to purchase anyways...

Their new ipods look cool.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Those geeks who waited in lines got fk'ed.

Not only did they pay $200 more only 2 months ago, but their phone is already inferior as they have discontinued the 4GB model. Two months after the phone comes out, those that waited are getting a better phone at $200 less. Priceless.

yo

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Patience is a virtue.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Just wait till iPhone v2 that access ATT 3G network comes out.

These v1 iPhone will be thrown away enmasse.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Is Apple the new Microsoft , the company you love to hate ? I was reading this and had to laff .

"At least with Windows, you could reformat your PC and install Linux or any number of other PC-compatible operating systems. Can I reformat my iPod and install something else? Can I uninstall iTunes but keep using the iTunes store and my iPods? Apple strongly discourages all that, claiming that the iPod, the iPod software and iTunes are three components of the same product. But that's what Microsoft said about Windows and IE. "

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,13...s/article.html
    Last edited by peat moss; 09-08-2007 at 05:02 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    WhiteWizard20's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I'd be really upset if I paid for the iphone when it first came out. Like zapjb said, wait till version 2 comes out and then buy it when the price drops on that one.