Thread: Download and Upload Speed Question

Wilton331's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Ok. First of all, please don't say search the forum, because searching the forum never works for me.

Here's my question.

Why is it that in Azureus when I'm downloading off of Oink that I can't upload at all when I'm capping my downloads? I guess it's not just Oink---but especially on Oink when my d/l speed are ridiculously fast and my upload speed is very small, I'll cap the download speed-- and uploading will just all together stop.

The torrent that I am downloading has 1 seed and 20 peers.

--I also noticed when I looked at all my peers that they are all downloading at like 1kb/s. Does everyone do this on purpose on Oink to stay in the swarm for as long as possible?
    Last edited by Wilton331; 09-07-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    i know that the bt protocol reduces you D/L when you cap you upload, maybe it is the same when you cap your D/L

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Does anyone know a way around this in the settings? I did notice that when I cap a download, Azureus never uploads faster than that capped download speed.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    This "problem" seems to be non-existent in uTorrent.. I have also noticed that when downloading off of OiNK using Az, it will not let you upload as you are downloading, whereas in uTorrent, you can.

On top of that, it seems that in Az, capping download will probably cap upload speed, just as in uTorrent, capping upload will cap your download..

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I feel like there has to be some way around this in the preferences. I'm using a Mac, so unfortunately I can't switch to uTorrent.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Try fiddling with the settings on the uploading-downloading windows in the options screen in Az.. There should be some form of capping option sitting in there.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilton331 View Post
    Why is it that in Azureus when I'm downloading off of Oink that I can't upload at all when I'm capping my downloads? I guess it's not just Oink---but especially on Oink when my d/l speed are ridiculously fast and my upload speed is very small, I'll cap the download speed-- and uploading will just all together stop.

why are you capping your download speeds? there's no point in that. your goal is to get all the pieces of the torrent. the more pieces of the torrent that you have, the more of them you can upload to other peers in the swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    I have also noticed that when downloading off of OiNK using Az, it will not let you upload as you are downloading, whereas in uTorrent, you can.
    if anything, it was just a coincidence. I've used both utorrent and azureus and both upload fine while downloading. provided that there are leeches in the swarm and you have a good upload speed.

oink is just notorious for overseeding, so it's hard to get any upload unless you get on torrents right when they're posted, post your own torrents, or have a really fast upload speed.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by extinguisher View Post
    why are you capping your download speeds? there's no point in that. your goal is to get all the pieces of the torrent. the more pieces of the torrent that you have, the more of them you can upload to other peers in the swarm.
    Not always true. If you download just 1 file from a torrent and seed that the server will give you priority uploading that file. You should have almost as much chance at uploading as somebody who has the whole file.

The secret with OiNK is to keep all torrents open that you download (even up to 250 torrents! Use the labels on utorrent to keep organisation etc...). I was able to keep a ratio of over 1 and upload some 40GB this way. And I only had 30Kb/s up!

Azureus behaves much in the same way as utorrent.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    What do you mean by keep all torrents open that you download? Just make sure that they are always seeding?