Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't find info anywhere...

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Is it the Opteron?

What do you want for it?
    No, it's a motherboard, silly person.
    We can work something out, I feel certain.

Whatever the engine is it's all aluminum and very pretty.
    His current engine is carbed, the new one is FI which will lower it's stance in the bay by several inches.

We traded hoods...I now have a near perfect (you remember the dings in my old one) red aluminum hood off his convertible and he got the black T2 hood I scrounged from the junkyard last week.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Is it the Opteron?

What do you want for it?
    No, it's a motherboard, silly person.
    We can work something out, I feel certain.

Whatever the engine is it's all aluminum and very pretty.
    His current engine is carbed, the new one is FI which will lower it's stance in the bay by several inches.

We traded hoods...I now have a near perfect (you remember the dings in my old one) red aluminum hood off his convertible and he got the black T2 hood I scrounged from the junkyard last week.
    Motherboard, yes - equipped with an Opteron, no?

Be very careful with that hood, sir.

FI will definitely add a degree of drivability to that no-doubt twitchy beast.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Just a bare motherboard.

All my Opties are gone, in fact, almost all of my higher end PC stuff is history with the exception of a few cases.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Back on-topic.

The chipset certainly supports dual-core processors, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the bios does. Since you aren't likely to get any help from HP on that score, the only option is to try it.

Obviously you won't want to go out and buy one, so the only option is to borrow one - good luck with that. If you do get the opportunity, your system won't do any damage to a dual core processor. If it isn't compatible it simply won't operate, or not in dual core mode.

The alternative is to go for the highest spec single core that's available for that system - AMD Mobile Athlon 64 4000.

There's a parts specification here:
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00364919.pdf
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Back on-topic.

The chipset certainly supports dual-core processors, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the bios does. Since you aren't likely to get any help from HP on that score, the only option is to try it.

Obviously you won't want to go out and buy one, so the only option is to borrow one - good luck with that. If you do get the opportunity, your system won't do any damage to a dual core processor. If it isn't compatible it simply won't operate, or not in dual core mode.

The alternative is to go for the highest spec single core that's available for that system - AMD Mobile Athlon 64 4000.

There's a parts specification here:
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00364919.pdf
    I'm thinking along both lines ATM, although your clarification has pointed up my possible misapprehension that while the problem would certainly be the BIOS, I thought that this particular chipset has no other options as to BIOS.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    You're wrong.

The chipset itself probably does have other BIOS options written for it...just not by HP.
    Since the majority of CPUs produced in the past year or so have been multi-core it would suicidal to produce a chipset that won't support them but the chances of finding a suitable BIOS from HP are pretty slim.
    It either will or won't won't work as it sits right now.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    You're wrong.

The chipset itself probably does have other BIOS options written for it...just not by HP.
    Since the majority of CPUs produced in the past year or so have been multi-core it would suicidal to produce a chipset that won't support them but the chances of finding a suitable BIOS from HP are pretty slim.
    It either will or won't won't work as it sits right now.
    So then the best course (to find this out, I mean) would be to just swap in a DC and see what happens?

I don't think I'd be averse to that, frankly, as they're not outrageous, price-wise, even for a screamer...

-Mark Twain

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    So then the best course (to find this out, I mean) would be to just swap in a DC and see what happens?
    Precisely.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Think I found a reasonable candidate at a throwaway price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103053

-Mark Twain

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    If you end up throwing it...throw it my way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast