Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't find info anywhere...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...on this one.

I have an HP zv6130us laptop that is a 939 socket Athlon 64, and ATI X200 mobile chipset.

As there are (for now, anyway) a couple of nice options for dual-core 939 socket processors, I was wondering if the idea of such an upgrade is worth entertaining, given that, even though the socket is correct, bios and cooling issues might stop me dead in my tracks.

HP is of no use as a resource, and I can't find anyone on the AMD forums who's done this to anything but a desktop.

I use it primarily as a desktop replacement anyway, and I've already got 2G of RAM in it...thinking that if this were possible, it might be Vista-capable, and remain usable for a few more years.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    If used as desktop replacement, you might as well get a laptop cooling fan. It adds a lot to the bulkiness, but temps will go down a lot.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    My thought:

Does vista do something XP doesn't?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Actually, cooling shouldn't be such a problem as DCs generally run cooler anyhow.

zapjb-

I could put Vista on it now, I suppose, though I'm looking to do it with a bit more oomph, processor-wise.

If a BIOS upgrade/update would allow a dual-core processor, I might even be able to use dual-channel RAM, which for some reason is disabled in this specific PC.

Just casting about for possibilities, basically...

Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post
    If used as desktop replacement, you might as well get a laptop cooling fan. It adds a lot to the bulkiness, but temps will go down a lot.
    I meant as a replacement capability-wise.

I still like to move around with it, just not everywhere - like work, for example.

I use it upstairs, downstairs, in the garage...

Fuckin' thing weighs about fifteen pounds in the case.
    Last edited by j2k4; 09-08-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    what do u do on this laptop? browse the internet only? gaming? ur maxed out on the ram so u can't get anymore of that. 2gb is fine anyway. with that ram and ur current cpu it WILL run vista fine. grab urself the 32bit version of vista of choice and ur good. as for the cpu upgrade kinda need some info. what's the mb? if u don't have a printout of the configuration prior to buying this then run a program by the name of sandra and it will tell u. if this machine is about 1 year old or less it SHOULD run a dual core with no problem.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    what do u do on this laptop? browse the internet only? gaming? ur maxed out on the ram so u can't get anymore of that. 2gb is fine anyway. with that ram and ur current cpu it WILL run vista fine. grab urself the 32bit version of vista of choice and ur good. as for the cpu upgrade kinda need some info. what's the mb? if u don't have a printout of the configuration prior to buying this then run a program by the name of sandra and it will tell u. if this machine is about 1 year old or less it SHOULD run a dual core with no problem.
    Not a gamer, but need to be ready for other things.

I know, strictly as is, it'll run Vista, but I want to extend the useful life of the machine, which I feel I should be able to do because of the 939 socket.

The hangup would seem to be the chipset; I can't find any updated info to tell me whether or not it will or could support dual-core...that's the problem...if I was to do this, I'd go max on the proc - 3.0G, I think?

I have a dual-core AMD desktop, but it's AMD2 socket, so nowhere to go with a 939 proc if it doesn't work.

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    It's definitely a crapshoot, Kev...I spent some quality Google-time looking for any indication about your chipset/CPU support/BIOS options and found squat.

Nada.
    Zip.

I'd try it, but it's your money.

BTW, did ya'll ever eat the ice cream left in the freezer?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    It's definitely a crapshoot, Kev...I spent some quality Google-time looking for any indication about your chipset/CPU support/BIOS options and found squat.

Nada.
    Zip.

I'd try it, but it's your money.
    I still may, but will do a bit more chin-pulling first...maybe dope out something to do with the proc if it's a tits-up.

Damn ATI 200 Xpress chipset, anyway.

BTW, did ya'll ever eat the ice cream left in the freezer?
    Indeed; found them about a week later.

You have good taste in ice cream.

Next time's on me, okay?

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I still may, but will do a bit more chin-pulling first...maybe dope out something to do with the proc if it's a tits-up.

You have good taste in ice cream.

Next time's on me, okay?
    Given my current employment status...you're on.

Seems to me I have a DFI hot rod 939 mobo (Lanparty Expert) laying around here somewhere...
    If the chip no workee in laptop you could upgrade an old desktop or something. It'll run dual channel RAM and everything.

Another aside...
    Got to see and drive a V-8 RX7 convertible today...Holy Mother of God!
    It was just a iron block Chevy 350 but would pin you back no prob.
    He's building an LS1 (or is it LT1?) to throw in this winter along with a six speed instead of the auto.

You'da loved it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Seems to me I have a DFI hot rod 939 mobo (Lanparty Expert) laying around here somewhere...
    If the chip no workee in laptop you could upgrade an old desktop or something. It'll run dual channel RAM and everything.
    Is it the Opteron?

What do you want for it?

Another aside...
    Got to see and drive a V-8 RX7 convertible today...Holy Mother of God!
    It was just a iron block Chevy 350 but would pin you back no prob.
    He's building an LS1 (or is it LT1?) to throw in this winter along with a six speed instead of the auto.

You'da loved it.
    Indeed - I suppose it could be an LT1, but the LS1 is the latest iteration of the small-block, I believe.

Yeah, in that kind of package, they're even more fun than a big-block.

Are you tempted?

These days, that'd be all it would take with me...I've been peeking about at unfinished Cobra projects, BTW; mighty intriguing.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast