Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Switching To A Mac

WhiteWizard20's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    It will be a laptop and I'd be using it for video, audio and photo editing. Specifically for Final Cut Studio. Maybe some web design as well. Once I gain access to the 'bittorrent invites' section I'll download torrents too. Good idea or bad idea? I've been using Windows XP for all my life but I did use Mac back in High School. If I go with a Mac should I get the MacBook, MacBook Pro or should I wait for a iMac laptop to come out? Thanks for your help.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    personnaly i have a PC and an iMac here, but iMac is mostly use by my girlfriend and i use the PC, kinda agreement but i can say that you won't have any problem with torrenting on a Mac, you have all the software available to do so.

And i can tell you that photoshop for example works way better on mac than pc, it takes a second to load on mac that's crazy! i imagine this is the same thing for final cut.

And mac OS (now based on Unix!) is a way better OS than Windows Vista. Lots a cool function windows don't have

3. Lounge   -   #3
    MaaxHimself's Avatar ‡ Borat Sagdiyev ‡ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Defiantly go with Mac if your going to be dealing with video and audio editing. Lots of programs that deal with those things only come on a Mac.
    Also, OSX is so much safer from viruses and Adware than XP or vista, and will run more memory dependent programs more smoothly.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    The choice is pretty obvious - Mac is certainly the way to go. One consideration, however, is can you get use to the one button mouse under Mac. Other than that I don't see why you want to stay with a PC.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    I suggest you go with the MacBook Pro (but it depends on your budget). I still have my old PC with Windows and Linux that I use for programming and for windows-only apps. And in the Mac you can install windows if you absolutely have to (using Parallels)

For the mouse thing, just get a two button mouse and problem solved.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Good idea, then you can use Boot Camp.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    I have no experience of using a mac, ever. I don' think I even know anyone who uses a mac.

I therefore feel qualified to advise you to go for it as they are much better at <insert the thing the person asked about here>

Hope that helps.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Remember boys and girls, it is but a tool.

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    Can you still play games on a mac?

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    kaffeine's Avatar No queda el tiempo
    ^ you can. many games are also released for mac. but the vast majority of the games are for pc only. If gaming is the main goal, pc is the answer. If its just few pc-only games you're interested, you can do that through parallels or boot camp (for gaming boot camp is better)
    Last edited by kaffeine; 09-12-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast