Thread: external hard drive (can i use all space)?

hi,

i have just purchased a usb2 hard drive.

i know with windows partitions you ned to leave some space and your not able to fully use all the hard drive because of page files etc.

but on the drive i have (without windows loaded on to it) can i use all of the space available or do i need to leave some space?

thanks for the help in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    hi,

i have just purchased a usb2 hard drive.

i know with windows partitions you ned to leave some space and your not able to fully use all the hard drive because of page files etc.

but on the drive i have (without windows loaded on to it) can i use all of the space available or do i need to leave some space?

thanks for the help in advance
    As long as you don't run progs on it then fill it up mate.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    In theory you should always leave about 10% free otherwise defrag programs can't run, but there are ways round that.

If the data you are putting on the disk is going to be permanent, then the trick is to wait until it is full, then move some data onto another drive, run defrag, then move the data back. Since the data will be moved back in sequence it will automatically be defragmented.

If the data is temporary, defrag it when the used capacity is low.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.