Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: urgent help needed, busted by Symantec

steve8330
    I could really use some expert advice.

I just received an email from my ISP of Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act that Symantec found my sharing their software.

I may have been using uTorrent, and maybe I was allowing it to be uploaded by others.

I haven't receied anything in the mail, or anything from Symantec, but the email said they provided my name and address to Symantec.

Do any of you have any resources (information) that I can check out (web sites or other info) that can be of help here. I wounder if there is anything I can send to my ISP telling them not to release anyother info.

Am I screwed or is this just a warning shot over my head?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    TS.org
    Tell them you were using a wireless router and it wasnt you. Someone must have hacked into it and done that nasty horrible thing they're accusing you of

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    i don't think that Utorrent is an issue.... were you using public trackers or something?? if so i would advise ya to stop asap.. lol, although that advice seems a bit late for you.. my advice that it just may be a scare tactic from your isp(yes, they do that)... and perhaps wait to see if you recieve anything at all from Symantec... .. let me ask ya this, did your isp cut off your service for this??
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Squizzle's Avatar (""\(O.o)/"")
    Probably just a cease and desist, don't do it again and you'll be fine.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Skengeboy's Avatar k1337oris BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Stop sharing whatever you share ASAP. Remove all pirated software on your computer and if they take action (i don't think they will) just say that you must have gotten a trojan or something, and someone has used your computer remotely!

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Member BT Rep: +1
    I think your ISP is actually bluffing. Most IPSs will not give out customer name/address just because of a cease and desist letter.
    Never say "great giveaway", you may get an infraction.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    It depends if your ISP is a snitch...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I got these letters a few times from my ISP about movies and what not... Nothing ever happened!! NOW, I use Newsgroups..... Havent gotten anything since!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I wouldn't worry about it. Even if they inform Symantec, you are way to small for a coorporation to worry about you. They'd probably end up spending more money in legal fees than they would get out of you.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by huqiming View Post
    I think your ISP is actually bluffing. Most IPSs will not give out customer name/address just because of a cease and desist letter.

although i agree about it being a bluff, a lot of ISPs are going the way of the "DOMNINO" . by this i mean that all it takes is a request and they fall into compliance.... sad to say but it's true.. Further more i would stay away from any tracker that is "OPEN TO ALL" and stick with the more restricted trackers... chances are slimmer that someone could get your ip... and thats not even 100%..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast