Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent vs. Newsgroups

Quote Originally Posted by briand5379 View Post
    Security shouldn't be your focus when it relates to either as there have been some stories out recently about anti p2p companies accessing newsgroup sites.
    Uhm, what? Leeching from newsgroups is absolutely untracable, except by your ISP. If an "anti P2P company" has access to a "newsgroup site" (I suppose you mean a forum like this?) you're still safe, except when you go posting stuff like your IP, your real name, and a list of crimes you committed.

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    depends , if you take into consideration the seeding times on torrents (24/7 ) and electricity bills

i would go with NG's

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    never checked out newsgroups as everything i want can be found on bittorrent (and its very easy to sety up)

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    mera's Avatar Member BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    I still use newsgroups these days but mainly for reading posts. You get quite an extensive choice but I just find BT easier and faster.

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    Both have pros and cons. Torrents are faster to release, usenet is faster download with no upload. Why don't you try both then you can make up you're own mind. If you limit yourself to one you will miss out.

To everyone saying there are lots of small files, small choice, slow etc. Yes that was true years ago but things are different now. Try and find a recent guide and give Usenet a go.

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    tiger6ex's Avatar Call me X, agent X BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i believe that p2p networks are the best...With the BitTorrent client you can get up to 20 MB/s depending on your provider and contract. with news groups the speed is slower, but the pres are smaller as by p2p networks
    In a world of joy all things should remain free...even invite

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger6ex View Post
    i believe that p2p networks are the best...With the BitTorrent client you can get up to 20 MB/s depending on your provider and contract. with news groups the speed is slower, but the pres are smaller as by p2p networks
    Wrong. If you go with a good Newsgroup provider, ie: Giganews. They will max out your 20mb/s connection. It's just a matter of time before you suckers get caught with torrents and wish you switched to Usenet. I don't have to seed anything back, fast speeds ALL the time on old and new content. I can download TV series that are 200 days old at FULL speeds. I use SSL with Usenet so not even my ISP knows what I'm doing. Giganews + Newzbin + Alt.binz = all you need. There really is no contest. And if you believe torrents are better - fine, don't switch. Less media coverage and public awareness about Usenet.
    Last edited by start; 12-29-2007 at 02:06 AM.

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I did torrenting for a year and it was good...

I have now been using newsgroups for a year with a private server with retention so I pay $15/mo for it.

There is one major draw back to newsgroups... the 10 500gb hard drives I have had to buy in the past year to put stuff on.

Cheers!

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    Well basically I am open to new methods of filesharing and I tried to get into Usenet but until now I can't really see why it is so superior. I always hear that everything is on Newsgroups, but how can I find it? Using Newzbin I often get "no results" to releases I have with torrents. It may be because I often want special content as well as often preferring my regional language over english - but if people say everything is on Usenet, I am sometimes a bit disappointed.

Perhaps I just still don't have the correct acquisition to Newsgroups, to know where to find everything, especially as I often don't have access to a good service provider to try things out. But I know very nice torrent sites, now with Usenet I tried to look for nzb files if this is a sensible way to have a large horizon and I found binaries.nl to have a pretty wide palette, however I can't see it being so much better in content over the entire scene of torrents.

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    My advice is get newsleecher (pay for it) and it comes with a built in search engine that goes back 200 days. Then pay for access to a newserver newshosting is $15 a month for 45 days retention, but it is actually closer to 90 days. Then go crazy and start buying harddrives.

Everything is out there on newsgroups, if it is new especially. Every torrent you download probably came from the newsgroups. Take an episode of a tv show, it takes 20 minutes to download a 1 hour episode, how long does it take on torrents? hours to days, and when the seeds fall off... forever.

You may still need torrents for some of the more obscure things, demonoid used to fill the gaps for me, long live the memory of demonoid :-(

NG's are the best because you only use up bandwidth one way.

Cheers!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast