Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent vs. Newsgroups

I perfer Bittorrent because Newsgroups usually release things as so many split files. Its so much easier to download one torrent. Also my ISP limits newsgroup usage. Well they also throttle bittorrent, but there are ways around that.

IMO, Newgroups are the way to go if you have unlimited access and don't mind so many split files.

Nightshiver:
    Most ISPs have their own newsgroup server

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopdo2g View Post
    Newsgroups looks crappy :

*old stuff
    *slow ass speed

Even the better thing out is still Rapidshare, Megashares and so on it's better than Newsgroups in my view, because i can compare Newsgroups to Limewire or such as emule they are slow for me...

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Atilla View Post

Even the better thing out is still Rapidshare, Megashares and so on it's better than Newsgroups in my view, because i can compare Newsgroups to Limewire or such as emule they are slow for me...
    My thoughts exactly,

I don't see how usenet can be slower when it maxes out your connection, maybe you should sign up to a good usenet provider.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Security shouldn't be your focus when it relates to either as there have been some stories out recently about anti p2p companies accessing newsgroup sites.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    yes but u aren't connecting to anyone only the server, how can these anti-piracy groups be on there? is it to try and flood it with fake apps, movies etc????

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    Sextent's Avatar Version Five
    I use both. Mostly Usenet, but BT for anything I can't get there.

Usenet is free with my ISP, tho' limited number of groups, so no cost implication.

Also Usenet is like BT in that even if you don't have everything just wait a day or so and it will appear on something you do have.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Newsgroups is by far the superior option between the two. Using Giganews, AltBinz and Newzbin I have 100+ days of content to download* at max speeds which downloads, fixes and extracts itself.

* As an example, Newzbin provides me with approximately 120,000 posts of content** whilst the average on my private trackers is about 10,000.

** That's new and old content. At max speed. All the time. With no need to upload.

There's no contest really.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Yes, definitely newsgroups for max speed. nzbsrus.com or nzbmatrix.com are two good sites to search usenet. Similar to torrent sites. You just download a nzb file for what you want. nzbs.org is good for searching files on usenet. If you see something you want but you only see part 101 out of 200. Just add that file to your "shopping cart" at the bottom LOL! When you're done view your cart. Then create nzb it'll create an nzb file. Which tells your newsgroup reader what files to download. Just my experience and opinion.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    tusks's Avatar ¯\(°_o)/¯ BT Rep: +1
    IDK what some you guys are talking about when it comes to Usenet. It really depends on where your get Usenet access from. My ISP gives me free unlimited Newsgroup axx and I can usually max my connection speed at non peak hours and I get binary retention for 100 days which is pretty decent. Releases all get to the newsgroups a few seconds or minutes after they pre and I never have to seed back. Only true benefits of torrents over newsgroups is that they can specialize in certain content like music, foreign films and they can have higher retention rates than certain Usenet providers. Speed and content both depend on what level of access you have.
    Last edited by tusks; 12-27-2007 at 07:59 AM.

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    i like newsgroups because u dont have to worry about ratio

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast