Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bittorrent vs. Newsgroups

The Illegal Master BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    definitely bittorrent

2. File Sharing   -   #42
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orfik View Post
    BT is superior. If you're willing to pay a monthly fee then you may as well buy a seedbox and have access to more content and more variety in private trackers.

It does depend on your interests, though. My favorite sites are KG and Waffles -- Newsgroups don't approach either of those sites in terms of content or community.

However, Ii ArenaBG or TL is your thing, then you might be better off with NGs.
    If only you knew how foolish your statement was...

Newsgroups don't approach those sites in terms of content?? That statement alone displays your outright inexperience and lack of knowledge.

As has been said by Cheese, newsgroups is by far the superior option between the two. Using Giganews, Newsbin, and Grabit I have 200+ days of content to download* at max speeds which downloads, fixes and extracts itself.

* As an example, Newzbin provides me with approximately 120,000 posts of content** whilst the average on my private trackers is about 10,000. Usenet search engines reveal hundreds of thousands of files available.

** That's new and old content. At max speed. All the time. With no need to upload.

There's no contest really.
    Like I said, Newsgroups proved inadequate for my needs. They're probably just fine for most, though I reckon I'd still prefer BT since the rare things I get from private trackers and the mainstream things I get at full speed from public trackers.

But, just to see, can someone using Newsgroups find me a copy of Siouxsie and the Banshees Peel Sessions with log/cue, ripped in secure mode? Also, a copy of Lonely is an Eyesore, both the VHS rip and the album, in FLAC. If you can, I'll eat my words and my hat.

"Be easy, my ninja."

3. File Sharing   -   #43
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)

Like I said, Newsgroups proved inadequate for my needs. They're probably just fine for most, though I reckon I'd still prefer BT since the rare things I get from private trackers and the mainstream things I get at full speed from public trackers.
    You aren't downloading your "mainstream" things from public trackers at full speed. No, no you aren't.

The two methods do compliment each other tho'. I certainly am not anti-bittorrent, but one is better than the other.

I still use bittorrent (E****) for most of my lossless needs. But when looking for anything, I check Usenet first as it is the superior method. Regardless of the popularity of the content or it's age, it will come across at full speed, no if's, and's, or but's.

But, just to see, can someone using Newsgroups find me a copy of Siouxsie and the Banshees Peel Sessions with log/cue, ripped in secure mode? Also, a copy of Lonely is an Eyesore, both the VHS rip and the album, in FLAC. If you can, I'll eat my words and my hat.
    It's a petty test really. You can find things on bittorrent that Usenet doesn't have (I did not even look btw) and I could find things on Usenet that bittorrent doesn't have.

You're completely missing the full point...

yo

4. File Sharing   -   #44
    I prefer to pay for a seedbox and give back to the rest to the community instead of paying for a leech greedy warez access (at that point it's faster to buy silver dvd so you don't have to keep your pc powered up... and not even pay for a fast internet connection)...
    (I'm sure nobody replying in this thread does upload to newsgroups... yeah... file sharing talk... or file downloading talk? XD)
    Last edited by yayyyyyy; 01-02-2008 at 08:14 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #45
    Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    hey orfik i made some search but i found only mp3
    take a look at these cool screenshots
    http://i13.tinypic.com/7ynmyiq.jpg
    http://i17.tinypic.com/6owg3v5.jpg
    http://www.newzleech.com/usenet/?gro...e=usenet&adv=1
    Last edited by r77; 01-02-2008 at 08:25 PM.

6. File Sharing   -   #46
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    don't know WTF Siouxsie is, but here are the binsearch results.

http://binsearch.info/?q=Siouxsie&ma...v_age=&server=

7. File Sharing   -   #47
    orfik's Avatar 20th Century Boy BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    You aren't downloading your "mainstream" things from public trackers at full speed. No, no you aren't.

The two methods do compliment each other tho'. I certainly am not anti-bittorrent, but one is better than the other.

I still use bittorrent (E****) for most of my lossless needs. But when looking for anything, I check Usenet first as it is the superior method. Regardless of the popularity of the content or it's age, it will come across at full speed, no if's, and's, or but's.
    I'm impressed. You're an authority on my download speeds without ever having seen them.

Anyway, my experience is personal, and my opinions, while sweeping, are subjective.

To me there is no comparison: BT offers a superior selection for my interests, the organization of the tracker (genre specification and community) allow me to expand my interests, and it's free. Utterly free.

I didn't dislike NGs so much as I found I had no use for them. Again, this is probably a personal thing. I only use four BT trackers, really, and I never found anything on NGs in a better format than what I found on those trackers. Now, I understand the benefit of being able to max out your speed on every file, the huge library of files, the impressive retention, and I still maintain my opinion, so tell me what I'm missing.

In other words, what, other than impatience, would compel someone to spend extra money on NGs?

p.s., r77 & mbucari1: None of those were what I was looking for, and all can be had at no cost from emule (edit: and BT)

"Be easy, my ninja."

8. File Sharing   -   #48
    BANNED BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    i love Bittorrent more than any other programs else
    its free and fast and safe

9. File Sharing   -   #49
    I prefer the torrents because the rate of 'bad' flies is much reduced.

10. File Sharing   -   #50
    I'm currently trying out a free usenet account because I was currious about the whole fuss about newsgroups.
    After a few days I still like torrents more! You go to your private trackers website, you have a nice list with categories, etc...
    When I search for files at the newsgroups I have the feeling like when you would download a movie with kazaa; will it be the right file and will the files not be broken our corrupt.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast