Thread: how to limit download speed without affecting upload speed?

Member BT Rep: +1
    hi

I have another newbie question about downloading from private trackers:

When i limited the download speed, the upload speed suffered a lot: especially if i set download speed to 1, the upload speed would come close to 0; while without limiting download speed, i could upload much faster. This happened even after i've downloaded the majority files of a torrent set.

Basically it's like my peers are saying, "if you don't download from me, then i will not accept your upload ". This does not make sense to me.

Is this a common thing with all private trackers?

Is this a problem with utorrent only? Are Azureus users noticing the same thing?

What's a good strategy to limit the download speed without affecting upload speed?

Thanks
    Last edited by huqiming; 09-18-2007 at 05:23 PM.
    Never say "great giveaway", you may get an infraction.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    well i think it doesnt matter what client u use. it depends on your bandwith. i would think that you have adsl, where the download speed is more than the upload speed, and they affect eachother. also, if you max out your download then it will slow down your upload. i dont think this depends on what kind of private tracker u use or which client u use. gl

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sina1260 View Post
    well i think it doesnt matter what client u use. it depends on your bandwith. i would think that you have adsl, where the download speed is more than the upload speed, and they affect eachother. also, if you max out your download then it will slow down your upload. i dont think this depends on what kind of private tracker u use or which client u use. gl
    I probably didn't make it clear. My upload speed is decent when i max out my download speed. The problem is if i limit download speed, the upload goes down a lot too. And this happens both on a cable modem connection and a 100Mbit.
    Never say "great giveaway", you may get an infraction.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    AugustoP's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by huqiming View Post
    I probably didn't make it clear. My upload speed is decent when i max out my download speed. The problem is if i limit download speed, the upload goes down a lot too. And this happens both on a cable modem connection and a 100Mbit.
    It happens and you can't do anything about it. It's the way bittorrent works.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Typically this would happen when you're downloading something new.
    If you don't have a good portion of the file a great deal ahead of all your peers then what part of your download would anybody want to get from you? They already have those pieces.
    If you continue downloading without limits, you get new pieces to share amongst the rest of your peers, thus your upload goes will go up pretty high.

Isn't it common sense?