Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feds Warning

Originally posted by Switeck@15 July 2003 - 10:08
    But the Hulk workprint would either be made from a DVD or the original film source. Each work copy sent out to theaters might have a marker in it to say which number it is -- then it's a matter of eliminating suspects to determine who at a given theater leaked a copy.
    I don't remember where I heard/read it but, I belive it had to do with the counter/watermark? Apparently they each have different markings/numbers which are normally blocked out to hide where it is from.
    But on this movie they also placed the numbers/markers in different places for each copy. This meant they could track it even though it was removed/blocked just by seeing where the blank spot was.

At that point it was pretty easy for them.

TD

Oh yeah, there is a special place in the lounge for the wmd talk. This is not it, unless you are sharing that through kazaa? In that case post a hash in the appropriate section so I don't keep getting Brittany Spears when I search for it
    Peace of mind Findnot

No time to work out? Try Folding instead.

2. File Sharing   -   #32
    Originally posted by Switeck+15 July 2003 - 03:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck @ 15 July 2003 - 03:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by junkyardking@15 July 2003 - 00:56
    <!--QuoteBegin-downloader2008
    @15 July 2003 - 03:31
    So to wrap this whole thing up, they CANT put tracking devices into AVI files?

Not nescessary true, i dont know about avi&#39;s, but i heard that guy who ripped that workprint of the hulk got found out, how?

Because when he ripped it from the source, probally a dvd/cd somthing in digital format anyway, a program phoned home alerting them to it.
    An AVI file can be a renamed ASF or WMV file that CAN have phone-home abilities in it. I&#39;ve gotten a few DragonBall Z episodes that do that. But that&#39;s off-topic. Only Microsoft video editing software would be so evil as to track your actions and phone home for copyright violations.

But the Hulk workprint would either be made from a DVD or the original film source. Each work copy sent out to theaters might have a marker in it to say which number it is -- then it&#39;s a matter of eliminating suspects to determine who at a given theater leaked a copy. [/b][/quote]
    So you mean that if I download a movie from someone on Kazaa, they can find out stuff about me?&#33;

3. File Sharing   -   #33
    Poster
    Originally posted by downloader2008+15 July 2003 - 21:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (downloader2008 &#064; 15 July 2003 - 21:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Switeck@15 July 2003 - 03:08
    Originally posted by junkyardking@15 July 2003 - 00:56
    <!--QuoteBegin-downloader2008
    @15 July 2003 - 03:31
    So to wrap this whole thing up, they CANT put tracking devices into AVI files?
    Not nescessary true, i dont know about avi&#39;s, but i heard that guy who ripped that workprint of the hulk got found out, how?

Because when he ripped it from the source, probally a dvd/cd somthing in digital format anyway, a program phoned home alerting them to it.
    An AVI file can be a renamed ASF or WMV file that CAN have phone-home abilities in it. I&#39;ve gotten a few DragonBall Z episodes that do that. But that&#39;s off-topic. Only Microsoft video editing software would be so evil as to track your actions and phone home for copyright violations.

But the Hulk workprint would either be made from a DVD or the original film source. Each work copy sent out to theaters might have a marker in it to say which number it is -- then it&#39;s a matter of eliminating suspects to determine who at a given theater leaked a copy.
    So you mean that if I download a movie from someone on Kazaa, they can find out stuff about me?&#33; [/b][/quote]Yes, if you get a trojan horse, they can do almost anything they want to your computer -- possibly without you even knowing. I&#39;ve gotten a fake MP3 file that was in fact a renamed *.VBS script VIRUS. Having 1-byte corruptions added to all your shared files would be very hard to spot if it was done &#39;quietly&#39; and didn&#39;t changed the date/time on the files -- but it would wreck anyone&#39;s ability to swarm your files with others of identical kind.

Having said all that, NO you need NOT be vulnerable to any of that.

If you download a movie, you can view the raw details of the file in a hex editor or some similar viewer-but-not-runner program and after only a minimal amount of training you&#39;ll be able to tell the difference between MPG and AVI and WMV/ASF and even RM&#33; They are all very distinctive in layout and only WMV/ASF and RM have &#39;phone home&#39; capabilities. I usually do a hex view of the tv shows I download just to check to see what video codecs they used and whether they are complete files -- the end of their file should have the keyframe tables if they&#39;re AVI files (although I can&#39;t tell for WMV/ASF or MPG).

Remarked files are rare and generally accidental among what I get (anime), but for movies I&#39;m sure MPAA has ALREADY experimented with fakes that have phone-home capabilities.

4. File Sharing   -   #34
    Originally posted by Switeck@16 July 2003 - 11:58
    Yes, if you get a trojan horse, they can do almost anything they want to your computer -- possibly without you even knowing. I&#39;ve gotten a fake MP3 file that was in fact a renamed *.VBS script VIRUS. .
    Having said that was the file name *.vbs.mp3 or was it just *.mp3? And to make it clear, unless the video is a virus or trojan, you can NOT trace the video back to the person who downloaded it...?

5. File Sharing   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by downloader2008+16 July 2003 - 22:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (downloader2008 &#064; 16 July 2003 - 22:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Switeck@16 July 2003 - 11:58
    Yes, if you get a trojan horse, they can do almost anything they want to your computer -- possibly without you even knowing. I&#39;ve gotten a fake MP3 file that was in fact a renamed *.VBS script VIRUS. .
    Having said that was the file name *.vbs.mp3 or was it just *.mp3? And to make it clear, unless the video is a virus or trojan, you can NOT trace the video back to the person who downloaded it...?[/b][/quote]The MP3 virus filename was *.MP3 -- not *.vbs.mp3 nor *.mp3.lnk...

Media Player recognized the internal file structure (*.vbs) even though the filename was *.mp3 and ran it just fine.

Unless there is a virus or trojan in the file you download OR you are sharing the files you download, there is no easily-workable way for anyone other than the person you download from to know what you just downloaded.

There are difficult man-in-the-middle monitoring approaches -- such as your ISP recording all internet traffic to your computer and determining what you downloaded that way or a supernode monitoring your traffic -- but the technical expertise to do them (and the luck factors involved) make them unworkable as a large-scale spying method for RIAA to use on file sharers.

With 1 possible exception:
    If they set up lots of supernodes, then monitored the search/download request traffic going through them they might get SOME indirect evidence linking the nodes that connect to them to the files they&#39;re attempting to download. But because they have no way to verify if the user/s only ran a search but didn&#39;t download, cancelled the downloads, or were even aware they downloaded a &#39;bad&#39; file, if they attempted to use that information in a court of law they&#39;d be laughed at. (They may get more info for firewalled users because supernodes act as go-betweens to make those connections work.)

But it&#39;s not courts that they&#39;re using... it&#39;s politicians and law enforcement. If you care to &#39;contest&#39; their claims and take them to court, you have to give up all your privacy and show them EVERYTHING you&#39;re doing on your computer -- after all, if you&#39;re innocent then you have nothing to hide.

6. File Sharing   -   #36
    So that means that usually files that have *.MP3 instead of *.mp3, will have a virus?&#33;

7. File Sharing   -   #37
    Poster
    Originally posted by downloader2008@21 July 2003 - 20:35
    So that means that usually files that have *.MP3 instead of *.mp3, will have a virus?&#33;
    NO&#33;

The example I used I spelled out *.MP3 in caps for emphasis.
    Windows doesn&#39;t care whether the file extension is in caps or not.

*.tXt , *.TXT , *.txt , and *.txT will all open as a text file by notepad (more than likely.)

8. File Sharing   -   #38
    Poster
    if u got a bootleg movie its not illegal if u just have it u have u purchased it or sold it then thats wen it becomes a crime

9. File Sharing   -   #39
    Poster
    I think mass file sharing such as kazaa will finsh soon..
    but ppl will set up exclusive groups ( and password or give access rites to ppl ) sharing the latest files and the fbi, riaa , mpaa can&#39;t do a thing about it..
    ice ice baby

10. File Sharing   -   #40
    Don&#39;t worry about it guys, just think:
    how many ppl are shaing files?
    how crowded are US prisons?

Anyway, don&#39;t worry if you go to prison, it&#39;s good life experience and good exercise, and you&#39;ll learn a lot.

BTW, so all you guys are file sharers, right...
    Mmmh, must tell my boss about this forum then......

[just joking]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast