Thread: Wtf?

Poster
    I was in here not too long ago asking about how much and what kind of ram to buy when I upgrade. Anyway I left the conversation believing that since I have 400mhz fsb that I would be able to use 400mhz ram. Then tonight I was on the HP site looking at more in depth specs for my pc and I think it said on there that the max ram speed for my pc was 266mhz. Now I know that it originally came with this 266mhz ram, is this maybe what they are talking about on the HP site or was the person I was talking to on here just plain wrong or is there another reason for this? Like maybe I just have a janky setup.

My specs:
    Processor: Intel celeron 2.0
    Motherboard: ASUS P4G533
    RAM: 256 Mb 266mhz
    1 open DIMM
    400 mhz

Please someone help. I was hoping to upgrade to 400mhz 1024mb ram and now it seems I may be screwed. Thx 4 ne and all help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    What no help guys? Any ideas even?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Who the hell puts 266MHz RAM in a system with a CPU/motherboard capable of a 400MHz FSB? I'm pretty sure the motherboard knocks the whole shebang down to 266MHz (whatever the slowest component is), which means the system performance is lower than what it really could be.

[/rant]

Anyway... Yeah, 266MHz is probably just the speed of the RAM that came with the system. If your CPU and motherboard are capable of a 400MHz FSB, then you should be good to go with the new RAM.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct. me.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I think (I'm not sure!&#33 that with some Intel systems running the memory at a lower bus speed is much more common and is less of a performance drag than it is with AMD systems, but it does seem a little odd that a mobo can have a 400MHz Fsb and only 266MHz ram speed.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought I was gonna have to through myself into the mississippi there for a minute Thx

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I just checked out the mobo specs here and gbfan is right in saying that his mobo only supports up to PC2100 so theres no point in buying anything faster.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    AAAHHHH GEEZ Here I go I'm jumping. I was hoping that just meant that was what came with it because that[U]is what it came with. Anyone no where I can find out for sure I don't want to waste the money on the extra speed if it won't help.

btw that wasn't the exact mobo close thoughhere

I think I did that right if not here ya go
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtm...ocName=bph07845

Edit: also I thought your max ram speed was determined by your fsb if this is not true than how is your max ram speed determined. Sorry its late I added in the underlined part

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    2 DIMM sockets... 1GB max RAM... PC2100/PC1600 That's just sick...

My mobo has 3 RAM slots, and is capable of a max of 3GB of DDR400 RAM.

Anyway... There are some very new motherboards that are capable of asynchronous FSB/RAM speeds. Maybe yours is one of them. If that's the case, I really have no idea...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I know I've been checking on this all freakin' night and since I'm poor white trash I'm just about to wait until tax time next year and build myself a big bad ass. B)
    Thx for all the help ne ways but I do think with this atleast I'm stuck with 266mhz.