Thread: Use stuff downloaded elsewhere to improve ratio?

Member BT Rep: +1
    A newbie question:

Since not every tracker allow to upload torrent, can i use files downloaded elsewhere (ftp dump, usenet, etc) to improve my ratio?

I imagine i could do this:

download/start a torrent -> stop it -> move files downloaded elsewhere to the torrent download dir -> force recheck (utorrent) -> start the torrent.

In this way i don't have to waste my download stats on stuff i already have thereby improve my ratio.

Does this work?

Any trackers explicitly forbid this?

Thank you.
    Last edited by huqiming; 09-20-2007 at 05:01 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SiNa's Avatar Lucid Dreaming BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    yes it does work buut the file must be exactly the same to the torrent you download. so the file that you get elsewhere must be same to the one on the tracker that you want to improve your ratio on. there are some trackers that forbid this but i dont know which ones

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Cmon's Avatar on users.php
    sure, download somewhere else, seed anywhere else is fine
    Know too much = bad
    My Ratio, Stats & Speed

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    dbmp's Avatar ubuntu <3 BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Yes, you can do it. Check the filenames/size and if they match go for it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    spark's Avatar Super Seeder BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    Sure you can....with ANY tracker...
    <NES> lol
    <NES> I download something from Napster
    <NES> And the same guy I downloaded it from starts downloading it from me when I'm done
    <NES> I message him and say "What are you doing? I just got that from you"
    <NES> "getting my song back fucker"

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    BANNED BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    yes you can with any tracker abt ur question and one more thing you can download a one part of torrent for example 10-20mb and let it seed it will be buffer so good that you ill have a good ratio that you can use if you wanna to make ur ratio and biff good

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sakingsny View Post
    yes you can with any tracker abt ur question and one more thing you can download a one part of torrent for example 10-20mb and let it seed it will be buffer so good that you ill have a good ratio that you can use if you wanna to make ur ratio and biff good
    That's a great tip. Thank you!

Anyone aware of trackers that have a problem with uploading stuff downloaded from elsewhere please comment. Thanks.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    If you don't have the fastest speeds or a bunch of sites with lots of leechers sharing the same file on multiple sites can be your friend.