Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Upgrade time again?

Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    My feeble >2 year old rig is slowly dying, over the past year I've been forced to gradually tone down settings on newer games.

Now it's at that point where I'm forced to play mid-low setting to get decent framerates, 30-60fps, especially playing online.

So my question is, should I upgrade to a Conroe // 8800GTS system now? Or should I want another year or so, in case there's some massive price drop (like the AMD 64s) or the 45nm CPUs from intel coming out? If I upgrade now, I only have enough for a single-GPU 8800GTS, E6700ish system.

Thx in advance.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    No matter when you buy, or what you buy, in three months your system will be obsolete.
    You know that.

If you have the cash put together the best system you can and go with it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    can I curse? FUCK!
    His system won't be obsolete in three months, thats way too short.

Seedler, you should hold off on buying the 8800GTS for now as they are the first gen cards. Try and hold off for the 8900s if possible because they'll probably have more juice to run crysis and unreal tournament 3 with the highest settings. I currently have an 8800GTS @ 576/1700 and it doesn't run too smooth on 1920x1200 or even 1680x1050 on some games such as cs source.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    @ baka
    only reason ur card doesn't run @ 1900 rez is for the simple fact that u prob got the 320mb version. those cards are junk. well, good if u wanna run @ 1024 rez, but any higher and u see the problems ur seeing. if ur running the 640mb card maybe something wrong with ur card for it SHOULD run @ higher rez with no prob.

@ seedler
    i do agree that u should wait for the newer nVidia cards to cum out this "november" for it will have more balls to run the newer games. as for ur cpu, u mite as well get the 6750 for it's cheaper and it WILL last u a LONG time. in all honestly pc's last @ least a good 1-2 years (if built with higher end hardware) be4 it becums "obsolete". currently ur rig is better than mine, but we are both facing the same probs. i'll be building a new rig cum november. gl & hf.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    I know what I bought nails. Its the 640mb version thats overclocked but it just doesn't run smoothly at 1920 because it doesn't have enough power. People should almost always wait for second gen cards.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    these assholes companies have these technologies available from some time before they release it but to juice out more money from public they release them step by step, as i mentioned before am tired of upgrading, on my upgrades i always go for top notch spec's but in matter of less then a year they become out dated. you feel power full and even make new forum Sig's at the beginning but soon you feel "Little Old Lady".
    why cant they release something which lasts atleast 3 years, just because they want to be ahead of each other they keep playing with market, its always "my gun is bigger then yours".
    i am sure that so called 89XX will not last more then 2 months before they announce its successor or an update to it because something went wrong and let the new one run for another 4 months before they kill it. its like continues TNA pay-per-view.

so Seedler no matter how much you wait you'll have to wait some more, its a never ending story. you wait a few months for a particular item to drop down on price then eventually it will but it will because of something newer, then your gonna wait for that instead.
    another good example is mobile phones, they come out so expensive and you wanna wait so it can be more affordable and then you buy it but only a couple of week pass by and something more shiny and eye candy comes out and makes you wondering why you didnt wait those few weeks, only in mobile phones their not worth waiting, no matter how good looking they are they provide same thing, even though they say it has more pixel its a pure bull shit.
    Last edited by BawA; 09-26-2007 at 04:31 PM.

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    I know what I bought nails. Its the 640mb version thats overclocked but it just doesn't run smoothly at 1920 because it doesn't have enough power. People should almost always wait for second gen cards.
    my bad. it's in ur sig. anyway, idk but ur card runs css @ 1900 rez good. what frames u getting? i'm not conversing with u for a pissing contest. i've just seen this card in action and it does css fine @ 1900 rez. the 640mb version that is.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Okay, thx for all the help guys, I know that technology (comps) become outdated fast, but I was just wondering if I should have waited for price drops, 2nd gen cards, etc etc.

So I'll basically do what nails is doing, which is most likely building a E6750///89xx//2GB system. Hopefully, it'll last me longer than 2 years because upgrading is so expensive

Btw, any hopes of waiting for the AMD 65nm or Intel 45nm CPUs?
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    my bad. it's in ur sig. anyway, idk but ur card runs css @ 1900 rez good. what frames u getting? i'm not conversing with u for a pissing contest. i've just seen this card in action and it does css fine @ 1900 rez. the 640mb version that is.
    Sometimes the frames dip to 40-30 and go back up to 100+ but the fact that it dips is annoying and makes it seem like a useless purchase.

As for Seedler's question you should just wait a few more months unless you're really eager to play Crysis and some of those other good games out. If you do plan on buying, you can buy a 8800GTS from EVGA and use the step-up program if they come out with an 8900 .

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Sometimes the frames dip to 40-30 and go back up to 100+
    that's poor map design & memory packet loss not ur video card. that's happens to EVERYONE in css especially dust2.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast