Thread: internet connection

Question Mark

Hi, i've got access to two internet connections at home one wireless(public) and one of my own wired. Is it possible to use both on my pc or will the pc select one over another? Would like one dedicated to filesharing and the other for surfing and such. Is it possible to use them simultaneously?

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Koeckebacker's Avatar Kon BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    I think you need a special server pc for filesharing.
    Its probably not possible to have 2 connections running at the same time, for specific programs.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    unattended's Avatar White & Nerdy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    It's not possible as far as I know.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    We have two wired connections (T1 and SDSL) connected to a cisco router and through routing tables certain IP addresses leave our network through the SDSL and other leave through the T1. I would say if you were using a server OS with routing and remote access you could turn your computer into a router and tell certain ports to use your wireless and certain ports to use your wired connection.

I dont know if this will work (never tried it, just thought of it) maybe you can have both connections enabled and use the windows firewall for the wired connection to block any programs that use the http/https. Allow those programs on the wireless connection. Then do the same for file sharing programs. I am curious to see if windows would know which connection to use that way. I doubt it but it might be worth a try.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Bridging! I've heard of it... but I don't know how to use bridging.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzedup View Post
    Bridging! I've heard of it... but I don't know how to use bridging.
    bridging won't do what he wants.

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    So a solution doesn't exist? Time to develop something. I'll look into it myself.
    Last edited by WannaPlay; 10-11-2007 at 03:53 PM.