Thread: Former NBA star Isaiah Thomas...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...now coach and general manager of the New York Knicks, is defending himself in a sexual harassment suit filed by a former team employee, Anucha Browne Sanders.

The particulars of the case aside, Thomas made some comments regarding the situational propriety of using of the word "bitch", to wit:

# Isiah Thomas Full Deposition

Thomas said he never used the word “bitch” during phone conversation with Browne Sanders. He admitted to using the “f word” during conversation with her, but Thomas said it was not directed toward her.

Thomas later said that it was more highly offensive for a white man to call a black woman a "bitch" than a black male using the same language.

“Maybe I’m not supposed to go here, but I’m going to go here anyway,” Thomas said. “A white man calling a black female [a bitch]; it’s on with me too. I’m not tolerating that. I’m not accepting that…that’s a problem for me, screw this [New York Knicks’ code of conduct].”

When later asked in he thought a black man calling a black woman a bitch was offensive, Thomas added: “Not as much, and I’m sorry to say, I do make a distinction…A white male calling a black female a bitch is highly offensive.”

Outside of court Monday, Thomas acknowledged his taped statement regarding a distinction between a white and black male calling a woman a “bitch.”

“Please don’t mischaracterize the video that was shown in court today,” Thomas said. “I don’t think it’s right for any man to ever call a woman a bitch. I didn’t do it, and I wouldn’t do it.”

On the tape Thomas said he was not attracted to Browne Sanders.

We've recently had some discussion in the Drawing Room on this very topic.

I find it curious that Thomas later (outside the court) tried to deflect any further notice of that part of his testimony as a potential "mis-characterization" of his words.

Personally, if I thought a woman was a bitch, and felt the need to broadcast the fact, I would do so unfettered by the skin color of the bitch in question, although if I turned to see Isaiah Thomas looking on, I might feel compelled to tell him that while I felt it necessary to use the word, I didn't mean it the way a black man would.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    What thread? I don't remember anyone talking about Isiah or calling someone a bitch.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    What thread? I don't remember anyone talking about Isiah or calling someone a bitch.
    No, not this case, but you took part in the discussion, did you not?

I think it was postage that grew out of the Michael Richards rant and/or Imus' fuck-up threads, when we were banging on about how mixed racial/gender situations affect usage of certain words.

I'm sure you remember...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4

I think it was postage that grew out of the Michael Richards rant and/or Imus' fuck-up threads, when we were banging on about how mixed racial/gender situations affect usage of certain words.

I'm sure you remember...
    How the hell does that relate to this?

Why ask if I took part in an unknown discussion and then explain what the discussion was about?

The word bitch in itself doesn't have racist connotations.

I guess you wanted to make a point about something racist but this does relate. Nice try though, I guess.

I see after all this time you still are clueless.

I am not surprised.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5

I'm sure you remember...

Why ask if I took part in an unknown discussion and then explain what the discussion was about?

I guess you wanted to make a point about something racist but this does relate. Nice try though, I guess.

I am not surprised.
    It appears, then, that you have no relevant comment...perhaps someone else will.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6

I am not surprised.
    It appears, then, that you have no relevant comment...perhaps someone else will.
    Sure I do. I was just genuinely curious as to what other discussion you were relating this story. It turns out there is no relation besides white/black.

Anyway, Isiah is an idiot. He might be more highly offended if a white man insulted a black woman with any word. The reason he was an idiot was because his rant had shit to do with the case.

All it will do is prejudice folk against him.