Thread: Incorrect Display Of Free Space

I tried to download some movies last night. I used AVI previewer to preview the movies but there were no playbacks. Moreover, whenever I used AVI previewer, my free space in the C drive decreased (my shared folder is in D drive) and it remained unchanged even if I refreshed the screen. I had checked the free space in all the drives using Defragment. They are correctly listed over there. So what is wrong with the indicator of the free space in My Computer? I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this. Thank you.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    perhaps some temp files got deleted. Every once in a while your pc deletes temp files from certain programs such as nero. etc.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    This is really not kazaa related. Drive space is a hardware issue. -moved&#33;

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    The disk space in C drive decreased without reason. I did not have the shared files in my C drive. Why should the free space in C drive decrease then? This has happened after I tried using AVI previwer.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Get Seqouia View and take a look at the drives contents.
    Do a search in software for the last two months.

Sharedholder had it posted in there.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Since reading from a file while another program is writing to it can cause corruption, AVI Preview has to make a copy of the current state of the file in order for the program to play it back. It most likely creates the file in the Windows temp folder, which is why you notice the free space on your C: drive go down, eventhough the file you&#39;re downloading is being saved to a different drive.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Could this be because AVI preview copies the parts of the AVI that have been downloaded into some other folder and that is what you end up watching? Maybe this temp file is somewhere on drive C. Try searching for files named * that are above 500 Mb.

In theory this could work. I think

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I have also checked for temporary files that could be created while trying to preview the movies. However, I am not able to find them. They are not in the windows temp folder.

There is a discrepancy of the free space avaliabe between <My Computer> and Defragmenter Program. Why should there a difference in the size? I believe that the free space specified in the latter one is the more accurate one. That was the size before I had previewed the movies using AVI previewer.