Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 64-Bit

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomsimon View Post
    im running 32bit vista...I already have 4gb RAM
    How much RAM can 32-bit Vista actually see...3.12GB.
    Limited just like XP was/is.
    Mine sees 3.25G.

I guess there is a range...that alone is enough to make me drop the dough for 64-bit...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    How much RAM can 32-bit Vista actually see...3.12GB.
    Limited just like XP was/is.
    Mine sees 3.25G.

I guess there is a range...that alone is enough to make me drop the dough for 64-bit...
    The restriction of how much memory your system can use is based on how many bits your processor is. Not the operating system (unless the OS has its own artificial limits).

4GB is what XP can support. Thats because XP is using the 32bit enviroment.
    32bit register = 2^32 addresses or 4 gigs of ram that can be addressed.

64 bit register = 2^64 addresses or 17,179,869,185 gigs of ram (16 exabytes)

Clearly Vista or any other 64bit OS isn't going to support 16 exabytes of RAM. There is no reason to create memory maps for 16 exabytes of RAM (due to hardware restrictions 16 exabytes won't be around for a few years). So, 64Bit Operating Systems create artificial limits on how much ram they allow. For example, Windows Vista Ultimate supports 128 GB of Ram. Apple's Mac Pro support up to 16GB i believe.

As for installing 64bit Vista. Depends on if you trust Microsoft's WoW64. WoW is the emulation software vista uses to handle the 64bit-32bit difference. So if your playing a 32bit game in a 64bit environment its running in a virtual environment (virtual is never as good as actual). If WoW is good (i haven't had a lot of experience with it) then the 64bit Vista is probably better. If WoW is not efficient then stick with 32Bit Vista.... i don't know enough about WoW to voice a strong opinion. But, what i do know is that NTVDM (i think thats the name) was the process windows used to emulate 16bit apps in a 32bit Windowsenvironment and it seems to work pretty well.
    Last edited by scottwile; 10-06-2007 at 08:20 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Mine sees 3.25G.

The restriction of how much memory your system can use is based on how many bits your processor is. Not the operating system (unless the OS has its own artificial limits).

4GB is what XP can support. Thats because XP is using the 32bit enviroment.
    32bit register = 2^32 addresses or 4 gigs of ram that can be addressed.

64 bit register = 2^64 addresses or 17,179,869,185 gigs of ram (16 exabytes)

Clearly Vista or any other 64bit OS isn't going to support 16 exabytes of RAM. There is no reason to create memory maps for 16 exabytes of RAM (due to hardware restrictions 16 exabytes won't be around for a few years). So, 64Bit Operating Systems create artificial limits on how much ram they allow. For example, Windows Vista Ultimate supports 128 GB of Ram. Apple's Mac Pro support up to 16GB i believe.

As for installing 64bit Vista. Depends on if you trust Microsoft's WoW64. WoW is the emulation software vista uses to handle the 64bit-32bit difference. So if your playing a 32bit game in a 64bit environment its running in a virtual environment (virtual is never as good as actual). If WoW is good (i haven't had a lot of experience with it) then the 64bit Vista is probably better. If WoW is not efficient then stick with 32Bit Vista.... i don't know enough about WoW to voice a strong opinion. But, what i do know is that NTVDM (i think thats the name) was the process windows used to emulate 16bit apps in a 32bit Windowsenvironment and it seems to work pretty well.
    I knew that.

Good post, actually.

Lends to my understanding, like.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Yoga Novice BT Rep: +2
    Actually you are right - the OS has its own artificial limit
    Moreover ,64 bit vista contains a 64 bit version of WMP which has a much superior audio stack which does not even resample non ac3 or dts video or audio. Also HD movies will run smoother

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzMonster View Post
    Actually you are right - the OS has its own artificial limit
    Moreover ,64 bit vista contains a 64 bit version of WMP which has a much superior audio stack which does not even resample non ac3 or dts video or audio. Also HD movies will run smoother
    More good factage...

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i'm running and have been running win vista 64-bit ultimate edtion for a year now and i don't have any problems with it. i have ALL the drivers for all my hardware and everything works fine. that being said, upon upgrade of my pc i'm not sure if i wanna use the 32bit or 64bit versions of vista. i have both, but i'm thinking this world still isn't ready for a 64bit os and the 32bit will be more compatible for future proof. i may change my mind for i may run 4gb of ram and if i run 4gb i want it to recognize all of it. so, i may just run the 64bit. idk, we'll see. dilemmas.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12