Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64-Bit

I have a 64bit processor and reently noticed the copy of Windows Vista that came with the laptop is the 32-Bit version

Would I get a big (noticable) speed difference by installing a 64-Bit version?

One thing this would mean however is formatting a legit version of Vista 32-Bit and installing a pirate 64-Bit edition.

Ta

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    You probably wouldn't notice any difference except it's harder to find drivers for the 64-bit version.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    You probably wouldn't notice any difference except it's harder to find drivers for the 64-bit version.
    I haven't had any problems with drivers, though I admit I haven't noticed a performance benefit.

However, I suspect that the lack of performance improvement is more related to the software available than anything else.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I haven't had any problems with drivers, though I admit I haven't noticed a performance benefit.

However, I suspect that the lack of performance improvement is more related to the software available than anything else.
    So then, the question I put to you two wizards is as follows:

Why the reticence of the industry to start pounding on the lack of 64-bit development while continuing to dangle it's promise like a nicely kippered herring?

Clocker-

I have the x2 processor.

My nerve is dwindling.

Shit.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm in this same dilemma.
    I have a 64bit CPU, and am looking to upgrade to vista fairly soon.
    I was originally thinking of going the 64bit (OS) route, just to save me from having to upgrade again in a couple of months once the software catches up.
    But I am unsure of the inconvenience, if any, of the 64 bit OS today.
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiweiler View Post

I was originally thinking of going the 64bit (OS) route, just to save me from having to upgrade again in a couple of months once the software catches up.
    But that is my question-

You say, "in a couple of months once the software catches up"...Hell, 64-bit XP is several years old, now.

How many "months" do they need, ffs.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    There's actually quite a lot of 64-bit software around, the main problem seems to be that too few suppliers want to really push the 64-bit versions.

It doesn't help when the 64-bit versions want to install into the "Program Files (32-bit)" folder, though I can't really see the point of having 2 folders in the first place.

That said, 32-bit versions of the software will run quite happily on a 64-bit OS (just as long as you don't need them to access memory above the 4GB boundary) so that's really no reason to hold back from installing 64-bit versions of the OS.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    There's actually quite a lot of 64-bit software around, the main problem seems to be that too few suppliers want to really push the 64-bit versions.

It doesn't help when the 64-bit versions want to install into the "Program Files (32-bit)" folder, though I can't really see the point of having 2 folders in the first place.

That said, 32-bit versions of the software will run quite happily on a 64-bit OS (just as long as you don't need them to access memory above the 4GB boundary) so that's really no reason to hold back from installing 64-bit versions of the OS.
    Yeah, it seemed to me we'd gotten to a comfort zone as to driver/program compatibility, but none of it really takes advantage of 64-bit, as you've noted.

Next time I need to lay hands on an OS (XP or Vista), it'll be 64-bit, no matter what.

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    n00b
    I also have the x2 processor, I have a program running called everest which keeps tabs on temp and clock speeds for me, every now and again it tells me that im running 32bit vista and to get a better performance i should upgrade to 64bit, Cant really see how much better the performance will be I already have 4gb RAM so I'm going to stay as I am for now, be interesting to find out how much difference the change will make though - have to be a pirate copy though too LOL

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomsimon View Post
    im running 32bit vista...I already have 4gb RAM
    How much RAM can 32-bit Vista actually see...3.12GB.
    Limited just like XP was/is.
    Last edited by clocker; 10-03-2007 at 12:49 AM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast