Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uk...

Mr JP Fugley's Avatar Frog Shoulder BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    The truth hurts
    It certainly can but the Principality of Wales hasn't existed for a long time.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    To my knowledge it's still legally tied to England....do you know different?

3. Lounge   -   #13
    To my knowledge it's still legally tied to England....do you know different?
    What makes you think it's "tied to England" and indeed what do you mean by that.

There was a Principality of Wales but that was hundreds of years ago.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    The truth hurts
    So does having a lobotomy....but there again I'm not English so I wouldn't know

5. Lounge   -   #15
    I know what it is, Wales has been ruled by the Monarch of Great Britain for years and by the UK Parliament, so you take that to mean England.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurka View Post
    The truth hurts
    So does having a lobotomy....but there again I'm not English so I wouldn't know
    Actually it doesn't but that's not important right now.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley View Post

What makes you think it's "tied to England" and indeed what do you mean by that.

Well, Wales has its own parliament but it still has to clear all decisions through London, it is still described as a principality, in fact Wiki describes it as being 'the biggest principality in the world' although it also calls it a country and we know how reliable Wiki is . To my knowledge Wales has never been a 'state' in it's own right and still isn't. I'm willing to be corrected! So what makes you think it is a country then?

8. Lounge   -   #18
    I know what it is, Wales has been ruled by the Monarch of Great Britain for years and by the UK Parliament, so you take that to mean England.
    No, I mean it was merged with England in the 16th century and has never gained independence (I think). Hence why Wales isn't represented on the UK flag.

9. Lounge   -   #19

Well, Wales has its own parliament but it still has to clear all decisions through London, it is still described as a principality, in fact Wiki describes it as being 'the biggest principality in the world' although it also calls it a country and we know how reliable Wiki is . To my knowledge Wales has never been a 'state' in it's own right and still isn't. I'm willing to be corrected! So what makes you think it is a country then?
    Who said it was a state. The two aren't analogous. The Vatican City is a state however I wouldn't describe it as a country.

Oh and Wales doesn't have a Parliament, I don't know what makes you think that.

I think it's really a matter for you to prove your contention that
    Wales is not a Country, rather than for other people to prove it is.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    No, I mean it was merged with England in the 16th century and has never gained independence (I think). Hence why Wales isn't represented on the UK flag.
    If it was "merged" that would mean that England had never achieved it's independence either. I don't think we can accept that, can we.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast