Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I Can't Shut Down My Computer!

cow_dung's Avatar 2010 Killua
    i jus d/l the xp installation n upgraded my computer but now when i shut down, it goes to dis screen "it is now safe to turn off your comp." n so i press the moniter's button to close it but it dosen't work !!!

But when i was using ME, i go to start and shutdown ,it automattically closes the moniter. Wat should i do???????????

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You should shut it down manually and force a checkdisk. When it restarts and logs you on, do a couple of defrags. When that's done, go to the command prompt and type chkdsk /r and select Y to run it at next reboot. try to restart it now. If it still won't restart, do it manually again. When it's done it might be repaired.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Hmm, I dunno why WinXP is unable to automatically shutdown your computer when Win ME could... But from what you are telling me is that you do get the screen where Windows informs you that "It is now safe to turn off your computer." When you get that screen, it is just telling you that Windows has successfully unloaded, but your computer is still running and was unable to be automatically shutdown. On most computer models, you can just press the power button of your CPU to shut your computer down from that point. Don't worry about loosig information as Windows has already shutdown itself. Then you can proceed to shut off your monitor.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by cow_dung@9 July 2003 - 04:02
    i jus d/l the xp installation n upgraded my computer but now when i shut down, it goes to dis screen "it is now safe to turn off your comp." n so i press the moniter's button to close it but it dosen't work !!!

But when i was using ME, i go to start and shutdown ,it automattically closes the moniter. Wat should i do???????????
    when i get to the "it is now safe to turn off your comp." screen i press the power button but it dosen't work?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Originally posted by cow_dung@9 July 2003 - 05:27
    when i get to the "it is now safe to turn off your comp." screen i press the power button but it dosen't work?
    When it shows "it is now safe to turn off your comp", press and HOLD the power button on your comp until it turns off.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by KrackHead2k+9 July 2003 - 04:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KrackHead2k &#064; 9 July 2003 - 04:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-cow_dung@9 July 2003 - 05:27
    when i get to the "it is now safe to turn off your comp." screen i press the power button but it dosen&#39;t work?
    When it shows "it is now safe to turn off your comp", press and HOLD the power button on your comp until it turns off.[/b][/quote]

Hey KrackHead2k&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Thank You very much &#33;&#33;&#33; You solved mi problem n so now i can shut it down &#33;&#33; Thnx&#33;

B) B) B) B) B) B) B)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Problem? All you had to do was hold the button&#33;

Your welcome&#33; I feel special now, and I didn&#39;t even do anything&#33;

Edit: Typo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by KrackHead2k+9 July 2003 - 05:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (KrackHead2k @ 9 July 2003 - 05:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cow_dung@9 July 2003 - 05:27
    when i get to the "it is now safe to turn off your comp." screen i press the power button but it dosen&#39;t work?
    When it shows "it is now safe to turn off your comp", press and HOLD the power button on your comp until it turns off. [/b][/quote]
    but of course, ur lazy........... u dont wanna press that button........

Configurationscreen-> nry settings (if u have the klassical view, else first goto the button on the top left and get the klassical view), goto the APM tab, and enable APM............... now ur comp will (should, were still talkin windows here) shut down completly by itself...........

it a comon problem.......... dunno y them fuckers @ ms didnt auto put it on...........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by cow_dung@8 July 2003 - 22:02
    i jus d/l the xp installation n upgraded my computer but now when i shut down, it goes to dis screen "it is now safe to turn off your comp." n so i press the moniter&#39;s button to close it but it dosen&#39;t work &#33;&#33;&#33;

We&#39;ve been through this before. The shutdown problem in xp has to do with your bios settings. I dont have that problem anymore. I went into my bios and enabled the fast shutdown option. Depending on your bios thats all you really have to do.

But what the hell, I havent shutdown or rebooted my main box in about a month. I generally keep this one on 24/7.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Storm+9 July 2003 - 06:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm @ 9 July 2003 - 06:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by KrackHead2k@9 July 2003 - 05:35
    <!--QuoteBegin-cow_dung
    @9 July 2003 - 05:27

When it shows "it is now safe to turn off your comp", press and HOLD the power button on your comp until it turns off.
    but of course, ur lazy........... u dont wanna press that button........

Configurationscreen-> nry settings (if u have the klassical view, else first goto the button on the top left and get the klassical view), goto the APM tab, and enable APM............... now ur comp will (should, were still talkin windows here) shut down completly by itself...........

it a comon problem.......... dunno y them fuckers @ ms didnt auto put it on........... [/b][/quote]
    Oh yea you can also do what storm said. That tends to work too if you dont want to boot into your bios to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast