Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Buying Help (Parts)

JordoR's Avatar Madden Champ!
    Alright this is it, I've had the same comp for about 3 years now and I'm at the point financially where I have a shit load of money coming in with no expenses (thanks to my new job) so I'm looking at buying a new computer. However, I've been out of the loop too long on what's going on with current parts, whats good and whats not right now so I need a bit of advice.

I will not need things like monitors or keyboard/mouse just the comp itself w/ a case. I'm not into looks so I don't need a fancy case or neons are any shit like that. Just a plain black case maybe.

For the actual comp itself, I'm looking to buy the parts and build it myself. Don't need to pay an overpriced amount for a box already made when I can do it myself. As for where I'm buying it from: either, NCIX, Alinx or any other Canadian company you can think of that ships to Vancouver.

-My Budget (approx: $1500-2000 Canadian I figure).
    -Type of Comp I want: I am into games (not as much as I used to be) but I would still like a comp that can run games with semi-decent fps on high settings. As far as games are concerned I would be interested in running: CS : S, BF2(yes I know BF2142 is out but I like BF2 better), and possible some other new games.
    -As for the HD, I don't need anything excessive probably around 320gb or if a 500gb hd is really cheap I'd be interested in it.

So yeah if you had the time to just help me out for a few minutes with some advice I would greatly appreciate it. Any more info you need feel free to Pm me or post in this thread. Thanks in advance.
    Peter: Excuse me, is your refrigerator running?
    Because if it is, it probably runs like you - very homosexually.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    I buy all my pc parts from NCIX ...Since you're not going to be doing any hardcore gaming I'd go with a 8800GTS, probably a 640MB. My 320mb does great for CS:S/DOD:S and most other games though. Link to my card: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?tab=1&sku=22630

As for a HD, pick up a 320gb seagate, they're 93$ (OEM) from ncix. great drive for the price

Cases: eaither the antec nine hundred or the P182
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=ANTEC

One thing to make sure with the 900 though, keep it off the carpet cause the fans suck in so much dust it's not funny.

PSU: Definately go with a corsair, whatever power specification your heart desires.

Being that I'm not sure if it's better to go intel or AMD at the moment, I wont recommend a mobo/cpu/ram etc. the pros will take care of that.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Thanks for the quickly reply LP. Yeah I was looking at the 8800GTS and 320gb for 93 bucks aint bad at all. My computer desk does have a shelf for the comp tower itself so keeping it off the carpet is not a problem. As for the CPU, ive always been an AMD fanboy. However, I'm not quite sure what's the best out there right now.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by JordoR View Post
    As for the CPU, ive always been an AMD fanboy. However, I'm not quite sure what's the best out there right now.
    Without doubt, Intel rules the roost these days.
    AMD has not been competitive for over a year and doesn't seem likely to become so anytime soon.

Sad but true.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Check out www.canadacomputers.com
    They have a lot of incredible deals, great prices on RAM and HDD, even CPU's
    GPU depends, but check them out.
    Also $6.99 flatrate shipping
    Q6600 @ 3.42Ghz | Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | EVGA 8800GT 721/1802/2006 w/ Accelero S1 | 4gb Crucial DDR2 @ 760mhz | 750gb Hitachi 7k1000 | Corsair 520HX | 2 x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" | Windows 7 Ultimate

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Alright thanks everyone for the replies, sorry it's been awhile since I've posted more of what I want, but I've been working. Just need some more advice on this build, I've kind of narrowed it down somewhat.

Processor:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...ufacture=Intel

-Do people think the Intel Q6600 Quad Core is overkill? But for 310.75 canadian it seems hard to beat.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=Intel

-Would I be better off going with this Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual Core?

Video Card

-As per linkin park's suggestion, I think I'm going to go with the 8800 GTS unless someone can recommend better.

-What's a good brand for this vid card, because both XFX and EVGA have the same 320mb card (well obviously not exact same), and there's a $20 difference in price between them.

EVGA:
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=eVGA
    XFX:
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...anufacture=XFX

-Am I better off going with these 320mb models, or should I crank it up to the 640mb version.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...nufacture=eVGA

-It's only 50-60 dollars more, but honestly I don't know which would be better.

Motherboard

-Here's where I need some serious help. I've been out of the loop too long, and I never really had a good grasp on what defined a good mobo. I'm not totally sure whether I want 2gb of ram or 4gb, but I guess it totally depends on what price I can find.

Memory

-This all depends on my mobo as well I guess. Theres so many different types of memory out there right now with different stats (lack of a better word): DDR2, PC3400 etc. etc. I really don't know much, or ever did about memory so I'm going to need some help.

-After doing a quick look at memory prices, I'm probably going to bump it up to 4gb. Since the average 2gb pack of memory (1gb x 2) is less or around 100 bucks, I might as well bump it up. Unless someone thinks it is very unnecessary.

Hard-Drive

-I don't need a lot of storage here, I've always liked Western Digital as a brand but as LP pointed out there this one for less than $100 bucks, which is probably more storage than I need.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Seagate

-Not sure about the brand seagate but, I'm sure people will have opinions.

PSU

-It really depends on how much power people think I'm going to need with this build.

-Would this 620W PSU be enough
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=CORSAIR

-Or should I bump it up to more. I really need some help on this category as well.

Case

-The least important category for me. a

-This aluminum one is pretty cool but it might be even a bit plain for me. I definately don't want anything with a window or stuff like that (leds etc.)

Fan, Air Ventilation Etc.

-Heres where I'm the most clueless, what fans and other gear to get. I haven't got the slightest clue as to what fans I need and that to keep a comp cooled, so some major help in this category would be appreciated.

I think that just about takes care of all the parts, what I have found and need opinions on.. so once again I'm asking for peoples help and opinions. Thanks in advance.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Seen the lack of even dual-core optimized programs the moment, the Quad is overkill. Besides, the 0.6 Ghz means a world of difference running current gen software.

For the video card, definite go for the 640mb version if you can afford it. 40-50$ for DOUBLE the memory...

A good mobo is required if you want to overclock or run SLI, however, if you don't plan on doing those things then the other parts take priority.

Memory go with 1x2GB. OCz, Cosair, Patriot, Kingtson all make good memory.

HD- 320GB is the sweet spot for now, although prices for 500GB ones have come down quite a bit.

PSU: Yes, that PSU should suffice.

Case, Fan etc etc: All down to your personal liking, largely dependent on if you want cool temps, or a quite comp, etc etc.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Yoga Novice BT Rep: +2
    It is a bit wierd that you dont need a lot of storage - being a member of fst ->high chave you are a "torrentor",dont you have to store the files you torrented to seed ?

Going for Dual Core or Quad Core does not matter as much as the stepping they are (make sure you get G0 stepping - the temp is way lower - so you can oc them)

Actually now is not a good time to buy a gfx card - 8800 gts might be bang for buck,but it also runs slowly on dx10,most ppl will go for a cheap dx9 but fairly powerful card and,upgrade when the next gen of cards are released

For memory - go with Kingston,it has the best compatilibty with all motherboards.

I think you cannot scrimp on the case,8800gts is hot,if a case is cheap - usually the number of fan slots are little and badly placed.
    Last edited by zzzMonster; 10-07-2007 at 04:03 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Yo jordo, eVGA for sure, XFX can lick my balls

Looking good, I still cant believe AMD has gone down the shitter man, def. sucks.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post
    Yo jordo, eVGA for sure, XFX can lick my balls

Looking good, I still cant believe AMD has gone down the shitter man, def. sucks.
    XFX wont "lick your balls". The only thing eVGA has on them is they're warranty program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast