Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System errors

I'm back! :o BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Any suggestions on a new board that would take current parts (Ram, AGP graphics card etc, Celeron chip) until i have the cash to upgrade the whole system?

Budget? Uhm...Lets just see what the prices come in at, Im sure i can stretch to a decent level of a board price

Preferably an english company so i can visit or one online that accepts paypal as i dont have a credit card.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Since the system is comparatively outdated I would question whether it is worthwhile spending money on anything other than budget components. You may also find you have little choice in terms of availability. Before you go down that route though, you should double check everything possible to make sure that the motherboard is definitely the cause.

If you haven't done so already, remove and reseat everything connected to the motherboard. You'll be doing that with a new board, so you may as well do it with the existing one.

As clocker has already said, try performing the installation with the minimum components necessary. I'd even go as far as suggesting you should use the onboard graphics for instance, anything you can do to eliminate potential sources of errors will either get you to a successful installation or emphasise where the fault lies.

Once you've narrowed down the fault it may be worth taking the system along to a supplier to have it checked. Some will do this for a minimal fee, as long as you buy the replacement parts from them. Check the terms of the deal before you go ahead though.

As to the source, if you are intending visiting somewhere you'll have to give a rough indication of your location. As a mod I can see that your ISP's node is in the Leicester area, but that still covers a large area and since I don't know any dealers in that area I can't help.

There are some good deals on Ebay at the moment though, I've just looked and there are 5 new Asus boards from the same supplier, currently at £5 each with £5 postage, and so far only one of them has a bid. For around a tenner it might be worth a gamble that the diagnosis of the motherboard being at fault is correct. Check the size though, this is an atx sized board, your existing board is micro atx size.
    http://listings.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsocm...e=search&fgtp=
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    I'm back! :o BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    Im almost certain its the motherboard as i tested the memory in the system at my parents house (I dont have a secondary except my woman's laptop which i hate, touchpad and different keyboard layout sucks to get used to again) and that worked fine.

I reset the BIOS, Tried the new hard drive and the system is currently consisting of:

PSU (Tried 2 of them too)
    Motherboard
    Hard drive
    1 CD drive (Tried with both CD and DVD drives)
    1 of the sticks of memory (Tried with both)
    and using on board graphics

Nothing else i can strip to check, So motherboard is the only possibility now i believe, Or am i wrong?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    It certainly sounds like you've just about eliminated everything.

I suppose it could be the IDE cable, but I think you'd get a different error so that's not likely.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12