Thread: Win 2k & Xp

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i've gpt xp on this computer and 2000 on my other computer, and sharing an internet connection through a router, and im trying to share files across the network but it aitn working, the other computer had xp to begin with and i all worked fine, then it had win me, and still worked fine, but now ive put 2k on it and i cant access files on the other computer, the one win 2k. the files on the xp computer are accesible to the 2k one, so what the prob with the 2000 machine is there anyting different i gotta do, ive right clicked over the folder, and shared it, and when i go to map network drive on the xp machine it doesnt find any folders. but it does find the computer,
    any help appreciated please. thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    What protocol are you trying to use ?
    I had this come up when trying to connect one XP computer to another on my gateway using ftp. I imagine it's the same with http.
    The way the ISP is set up, it's kinda like a lan.

Apparently XP won't allow direct connections on the same gateway for some reason I couldn't understand.

MS suggests using a proxy between them.

I never did get it to connect but try the Knowledge Base. Maybe they have some other fix.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    its just using the the map network drive bit, settign them up as network drives, this computer hasnt changed and it worked with xo and me on the other omputer, but now im trying it wtj 2k it doesnt work,
    i can access this computer via the network drive with the 2k machine.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Have you tried pinging them? (ie ping 192.168.0.1)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    the computers can see each other, but my computer cant access the share file on the other one, when i go to map network drive, i click on the workgroup(mshome) then there is dekstop and laptop, im on laptop, then it doesnt have any further than that, it should have all the shared folders listed in the next tree.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i figured it out, i needed to put in a user name, never had to do that before though,