Thread: All Devices Dissappeared!

kAb's Avatar Poster
    A scary thing happend the other day...

suddenly i had no sound. so i checked the devices to see if it was working, and i couldn't see ANY devices in the device manager. i panicked. suddenly i had NO devices working whatsoever it was wack. yet my comp still worked. i restarted and did everything i could think of, but no devices.

So i did a comp Restore to an earlier date and thankfully all the devices returned

anybody got any idea wtf happened?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You somehow wiped your driver file or the ini file that stores software and driver info. Maybe shut down too fast or a glitch in a read/write while loading. Did you clear the page file maybe?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    well my little brother (5 yrs old) might have done something.. but i don't know what he coulda done, it happened while he was using the computer to play games or something, i had come home and the sound had stopped working

what do you mean by clearing the page file?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    dlls and driver information can be stored in the page file (virtual memory). If someone was to delete the page file or shut down while it was being cleared or written to, those files would possibly be lost.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    MediaSlayer's Avatar slowly going deaf
    balaam how would you fix something like that? this sounds like the solution to my problem(maybe you saw my threads in here and softwareworld). The only thing I have currently installed for fixing is jv16power tools. How do i do it? My system restore has been turned off for a while.

sending fiery missiles in manker's japan's general direction.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by MediaSlayer@10 July 2003 - 14:26
    balaam how would you fix something like that? this sounds like the solution to my problem(maybe you saw my threads in here and softwareworld). The only thing I have currently installed for fixing is jv16power tools. How do i do it? My system restore has been turned off for a while.
    i have XP, and it allows u to system restore back to when u make major changes to your comp, i chose one earlier in the month when i got an update. it saves all your files though, so its not really dangerous.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by kAb@10 July 2003 - 05:48
    A scary thing happend the other day...

suddenly i had no sound. so i checked the devices to see if it was working, and i couldn't see ANY devices in the device manager. i panicked. suddenly i had NO devices working whatsoever it was wack. yet my comp still worked. i restarted and did everything i could think of, but no devices.

So i did a comp Restore to an earlier date and thankfully all the devices returned

anybody got any idea wtf happened?
    By "no devices" do you mean none of your cd/dvd drives?