Thread: Jammie Thomas and Newsgroups

I am sure all of you saw that Jammie Thomas was fined about $220,00 for sharing songs.

A very curious question:
    Did she get caught because she used a P2P?

Would she not have been caught had she been using newsgroups?

What about secure-tunnel.com? Would this company cough up your IP if they are threatened by RIAA/MPAA/courts?

Is newsgroups also in danger of being monitored?

I am totally new to Newsgroups and yet to understand how how this is safe.

Any URL on the "safety" of newsgroups would be greatly appreciated?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by avominex View Post
    I am sure all of you saw that Jammie Thomas was fined about $220,00 for sharing songs.

A very curious question:
    Did she get caught because she used a P2P?

Would she not have been caught had she been using newsgroups?

What about secure-tunnel.com? Would this company cough up your IP if they are threatened by RIAA/MPAA/courts?

Is newsgroups also in danger of being monitored?

I am totally new to Newsgroups and yet to understand how how this is safe.

Any URL on the "safety" of newsgroups would be greatly appreciated?
    First...RELAX! Newsgroups are one of the OLDEST ways of getting files and about the safest! If you only "leech" ( in other words...download) on newsgroups you should have nothing to worry about. So far NO ONE has been taken to court on newsgroups for just leeching.

And newsgroups are different from torrents, because in torrents, it is very easy to obtain an IP address...as with "centralized" (think....have all the files on central servers that feed the network) p2p programs like kazaa. (the program she was using)

But in newsgroups it would be a lot harder to trace a persons identity even if they wanted to catch a downloader.

But mostly the music and movie companies want people that UPLOAD, because that is what they consider "making available". If you have kazaa and your share folder has hundreds of songs, you are just painting one big bullseye on your back for the RIAA. Because in their eyes you are making the songs available to anyone who wants to download them.

But if you just use newsgroups and only leech, you should have nothing to worry about.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    One thing you should consider is, that the companies that offer usenet access not really are interested in to sue their costumers for downloading copyrighted content.

I know that they never will admit it, but reality is that so many of their costumers only want usenet access to download copyrighted material.I know that usenet is used for alot of other stuff, but if it was only used for text messaging, there would be no need for unlimited download at all. Companies like Giganews depend on them. They would of course cooperate if RIAA/MPAA had a warrant to get the data on one person, but as long they dont have that they cant really monitor anything.
    As said above, people that upload to usenet are the ones "spreading" the files and on the Bittorrent network you are sharing the file with everyone else.

All this said, you can always get caught. Some ways are just safer than others

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Pilferd's Avatar Poster
    u should be buying everything u download anyway - thats what i do - i usenewsgroups cause im too lazy to backup my purchased games ...

*gling*

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    as said above it is only illegal to upload not download and TBH riaa/mpaa against usenet you know whos bigger and gonna win