Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are master and slave options?

Herakles's Avatar Biologist BT Rep: +2

Question Mark

I have 120 gb seagete hdd. And I will buy another 400 gb hdd.
    And what are the meanings of master and slave options?
    And if I install an xp on 400 gb hdd, will there be a problem?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    "Master" and "slave" refer to the drive's position on the IDE cable.
    Master is the very end and slave is in the middle.
    These designations do not apply to SATA drives as there is but one device per cable.

No problems installing XP on a large drive.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    master is the primary drive and slave is the secondary. make whichever drive has higher rpm's the master and install xp on the master

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Herakles's Avatar Biologist BT Rep: +2
    thanks for the info.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by AmpeD View Post
    master is the primary drive and slave is the secondary. make whichever drive has higher rpm's the master and install xp on the master
    Oh, has the definition changed? Primary used to be IDE0 and secondary IDE1.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    always have my master first and slave on the end never had a problem

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Chewie, lol. A motherboard can have multiple IDE channels: primary, secondary, tertiary, etc. Each IDE channel can have 2 items on it, but the controller can access only one at a time. Thus, the terminology for master/slave on each IDE channel. An IDE cable has the Master connection furthest from the motherboard connection while the slave connection is proximally between the master connection.

It's easiest if your motherboard and drives support Cable Select (CS). You just put the jumper for each device to the CS pin and attach the cables to which device you want master and slave. The cables are even color-coded to make it simpler.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RacquetHD View Post
    Chewie, lol. A motherboard can have multiple IDE channels: primary, secondary, tertiary, etc. Each IDE channel can have 2 items on it, but the controller can access only one at a time. Thus, the terminology for master/slave on each IDE channel. An IDE cable has the Master connection furthest from the motherboard connection while the slave connection is proximally between the master connection.

It's easiest if your motherboard and drives support Cable Select (CS). You just put the jumper for each device to the CS pin and attach the cables to which device you want master and slave. The cables are even color-coded to make it simpler.
    RHD lol, I'm fully aware of Primary, Secondary and tertiary IDE channels.
    AmpeD, however, appears to be confusing them with Master and Slave positions.

BTW if we're going to get really pedantic, I would like to be the first to point out that it's the connectors that are often (though not always) colour-coded rather than the cables themselves.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    funny. I knew you did. Ye old bastard. [insert smiley]. Sorry I should have separated my explanation another paragraph down to distinguish that they were meant for the 1st poster. Sorry, it was a late night last night.

edit-all my cables have connectors that are color-coded. guess I am lucky then.
    Last edited by Racket; 10-10-2007 at 03:10 AM. Reason: just to be specific for chewie. :)

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by RacquetHD View Post
    funny. I knew you did. Ye old bastard. [insert smiley]. Sorry I should have separated my explanation another paragraph down to distinguish that they were meant for the 1st poster. Sorry, it was a late night last night.

edit-all my cables are color-coded. guess I am lucky then.
    Colour-coded cables? Like, for kids? :p
    IDNO you learn something new every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast