Thread: What is a 'Linux Iso'?

Poster
    I know what Linux is, and what an 'Iso' file is, but why do people talk about them together in a sort of way?

eg - I need my 20Mb connection to get another Linux Iso.

Are they discs which have the Linux operating system on? Isn't Linux free?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Racket's Avatar Retired
    Yes, linux is free but it comes in different versions. Check http://iso.linuxquestions.org/

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    l33ch3r
    To the original question, i would wager the reason they do it in a wink wink kind of way is because they are actually talking about something like movies, programs, games, tvshows, etc... but using "linux isos" as a euphemism.

i reall yhave no idea, but just my 0.02$

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    That's what i told my isp when they asked me about my bandwith use : i download (lots of) linux isos...

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by l33ch3r View Post
    To the original question, i would wager the reason they do it in a wink wink kind of way is because they are actually talking about something like movies, programs, games, tvshows, etc... but using "linux isos" as a euphemism.

i reall yhave no idea, but just my 0.02$
    aaah - I see - thanks

just off to download that new Linux Iso from Bruce Springsteen

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    QstorM's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Instead of purchasing a Disc with the Linux Distro on it, you can just download the Distro ISO file and burn it onto a Disc. Plus its a good excuse to tell your ISP when they ask why you're using all that bandwidth.
    Last edited by QstorM; 10-11-2007 at 02:34 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    kyuuchi's Avatar <O.O> BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Quote Originally Posted by ghfdse View Post
    That's what i told my isp when they asked me about my bandwith use : i download (lots of) linux isos...
    thats what I tell my ISP too and anybody asks at school. We have a no warez policy at uni where they don't want any unwanted trouble. Students still dl warez despite the warnings, and if we ever get called up, linux distro always work for me.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    the reason you use bittorrent, usenet, need ports forwarding on your works network, and get through hundreds of GB per month is that you download lots of linux iso's. FACT.