Thread: Frontman to File-Sharers: Steal Our Album, Help Bury the Label

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    "Revolver Magazine called them part of “The Future of Metal” and they reportedly “destroyed” the second stage at Ozzfest. Now frontman of the band ‘Throwdown’ is calling on file-sharing fans to take action: “If you wanna really support a band, steal their album….help bury the label.”

For a record boss with piracy on his mind, it must be a nightmare. Rather than being able to bask in the glory of a record breaking punishment for a petty file-sharer for evermore, the very people the label claim to protect - the artists - turn round to the label and stick in the knife. Hard. The frontman of hardcore band, Throwdown has done just that. According to Punknews.org, Dave Peters (seen here on the far left) wrote a letter to Santa Monica-based industry watcher, Bob Lefsetz. Peters told him:

"I play in a metal band. We have sold around 200k records across 3 releases. We’re not ‘huge’ by any stretch but do alright and live off (and ON subsequently) the road. Fans and friends ask me all the time how I feel about “stealing music.” I just told someone yesterday “I have a hard time seeing it as stealing…when I don’t see any money from cd sales to begin with.""

For more information visit the source link.

Source: TorrentFreak
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 10-09-2007 at 08:38 PM.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Damn what a slap in the face

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    I just told someone yesterday “I have a hard time seeing it as stealing…when I don’t see any money from cd sales to begin with."

What the lead singer is saying isn't 'new' news to the [knowledgeable] advocates of piracy. It is extremely relieving to see a popular musician say that, though. Record companies do hoard all the money, no matter how many sales - the musicians still get the same amount of money they agreed to get (or so I figure).

Issues arise when you consider bands who have their own labels :/