Thread: Sata With IDE HDD

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I was just wondering about the speed combining the two different types , I know how to do it and was thinking the IDE will be the slave .

Guess my question is would I really notice much of a bottle neck in performance ? Thing is I bought a new computer which has a 250 gb SATA . So I'm stuck with two IDE s both 250 gbs . I'm giving one to a friend but thought I'd set the other as a slave ,for my movies .
    Last edited by peat moss; 11-03-2007 at 08:11 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    If you add an IDE drive it will be a master since it won't be added to the SATA controller (SATA has no master/slave configuration).
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    You could get a case and make it and external drive via USB.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm guessing you meant secondary rather than slave, but as clocker says, it's a completely separate controller. I'm also guessing that you are concerned which one the system will attempt to boot from. The boot order is decided by you in the bios setup.

There should be no conflict between the 2 in terms of performance, they are totally separate devices. The only common point is in the chipset, where everything comes together in any case.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Thanks guys much appreciated , I had my old computer friend over today looking for a program and says he has an external case I could have but will just do as Lynx suggested .

I'm glad I asked here . Thanks again .